Senegal - Uruguay Preview: La Celeste aim to maintain 88-year unbeaten record in the Olympic Games
Oscar Tabarez's side go into the game as slight favourites having dispatched with the United Arab Emirates in the group opener, against their scrappier opponents
By James McManus
Ciss, Gueye, Ba, Souare
Konate, Toure, Diame, Kouyate
Aria, Coates, Albin, Rolin
Aguirregaray, Calzada, Arevalo, Ramirez
Senegal coach Joseph Koto goes into the game with practically a full sqaud to choose from, with only midfielder Idrissa Gueye, who was forced off after one robust challenge through injury against Team GB, a doubt ahead of the fixture.
Premier League fans will be familiar of the sight of newly-signed West Ham midfielder Mohamed Diame, who will look to anchor the midfield alongside Zargo Toure.
Uruguay go into the fixture without any injury troubles to name of, but Osacr Tabarez may be concerned about how ineffective the side's successful go-to 3-5-2 formation was in their opening game against the United Arab Emirates, changing it at half-time to a 3-4-3 system instead.
Liverpool fans will have plenty to think about going into the match, though, with both Luis Suarez and Sebastian Coates likely to start, not to mention long-time transfer target, Bologna's Gaston Ramirez.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Uruguay's two strikers - Edinson Cavani and Luis Suarez - managed to score 50 goals last season at club level between them.
- This will be the third summer running that Suarez (pictured right) has been involved in an international tournament during the summer, having played at the World Cup in 2010 and Copa America in 2011.
- Uruguay are unbeaten in 11 games in their Olympic history, winning 10 of those fixtures.
- They also won the gold medal at the 1924 and 1928 Olympic Games.
- Nicolas Lodeiro, their match-winner against the UAE, has only featured in 20 games at club level in the past three seasons.
- Two African sides have won gold in this event in the last four Games: Nigeria in 1996, and Cameroon in 2000.
- Senegal's last three games have seen them beat Switzerland and Spain while drawing with Team GB.
- Senegal will be appearing in only their second game at Olympic level in their history, the first being their opener against Team GB.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
|Sign up with Betway for a £50 free bet!|
Top 3 Predictions
Senegal U-23 1-2 Uruguay U-23
- 18.95 %
Senegal U-23 0-2 Uruguay U-23
- 12.28 %
Senegal U-23 1-3 Uruguay U-23
- 9.12 %
|Olympic Games (OLY)||29 Jul 2012||Senegal U-23 2 - Uruguay U-23 0|
|4 Aug 2012||Mexico U-23 4 - Senegal U-23 2||OLY|
|1 Aug 2012||Senegal U-23 1 - UAE U-23 1||OLY|
|29 Jul 2012||Senegal U-23 2 - Uruguay U-23 0||OLY|
|26 Jul 2012||Great Britain U-23 1 - Senegal U-23 1||OLY|
|23 Apr 2012||Oman Under 23 0 - Senegal U-23 2||OGPO|
|-||Khalidou Coulibaly Yero||Striker|
|15||Diego Martín Rodríguez||Midfielder|
Senegal proved against Team GB that they are a durable, physical and tough outfit capable of clawing their way back into a game if things are not going their way, but Uruguay's striking talent should prove just a little too much for their immobile back four.