Germany - Argentina Preview: World heavyweights clash in Frankfurt
Joachim Low's young side will try to put their Euro 2012 disappointment behind them when they face the South American giants, who have been in impressive form of late
By Enis Koylu
Boateng, Hummels, Badstuber, Schmelzer
Muller, Ozil, Schurrle
Zabaleta, Fernandez, Garay, Rojo
Sosa, Mascherano, Gago, Di Maria
Germany will be without a number of recognisable names for this prestige friendly. Mario Gomez is recovering from ankle surgery, Bastian Schweinsteiger has been struggling for fitness, Philipp Lahm is awaiting the birth of his second child, while Arsenal duo Per Mertesacker and Lukas Podolski have been granted time off with the new Premier League season fast approaching. Manuel Neuer, meanwhile, was a late withdrawal from the squad.
Marc Andre ter Stegen was called up as a replacement for the Bayern goalkeeper, but given his poor performance in May's friendly against Switzerland, the more experienced Ron-Robert Zieler will probably start between the sticks. Mertesacker's absence will allow Mats Hummels and Holger Badstuber to continue their blossoming partnership at the heart of defence, while Jerome Boateng should retain his right-back spot, despite the challenge of Benedikt Howedes, with Marcel Schmelzer filling in on the opposite side.
Toni Kroos will start in Schweinsteiger's usual slot, with Andre Schurrle filling in for Podolski on the left wing. Miroslav Klose, the only No.9 selected for the squad, will start up front, but Low may want to gauge Marco Reus' credentials as an out-and-out striker as the match wears on.
Elsewhere, Argentina will continue with the 4-4-2 formation that has served them well in recent months. Fabricio Coloccini has returned to the squad, but is unlikely to displace Ezequiel Garay and Federico Fernandez at centre-back.
Boca Juniors full-back Clemente Rodriguez could get the nod on the left side of defence ahead of Sporting Lisbon's summer signing Marcos Rojo after making a comeback to the national team in recent years, with Javier Mascherano and Fernando Gago forming a shield in front of the defence.
Jose Sosa has made the slot on the right-hand side of midfield his own in recent years, and up front, Lionel Messi will partner either Sergio Aguero or Gonzalo Higuain. However, its seems the Manchester City man could get the nod due to his superior fitness levels, with the Premier League's commencement coming a week sooner than that of La Liga.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- These two sides met one another in the quarter-finals of the last two World Cups, with Germany triumphing on both occasions. Jens Lehmann was the hero in 2006 as die Mannschaft won on penalties, before a Bastian Schweinsteiger-inspired team trounced the Argentines 4-0 in 2010.
- Miroslav Klose (pictured) scored his 64th international goal against Greece in the Euro 2012 quarter-final. The veteran forward needs just find the net four more times to match Gerd Muller's all-time national team record.
- Apart from the former Bayern Munich striker, no player called up for the Argentina friendly is over the age of 25.
- West Germany beat the Albiceleste 1-0 in the 1990 World Cup final in Italy thanks to a late penalty from then-Inter star Andreas Brehme.
- However, their triumph in Rome was little more than a revenge mission, as Argentina had beaten 3-2 them four years previously on home soil thanks to an 84th-minute Jorge Burruchaga strike.
- Jose Sosa, now of Metalist Kharkiv, spent a total of three years at Bundesliga giants Bayern Munich, and won his first international cap in 2007, a fortnight after sealing his move to Bavaria.
- Lionel Messi has scored hat-tricks in Argentina's last two friendlies; against Brazil in June and Switzerland in February. He has also netted a goal in each of their last two World Cup qualifiers. Messi is 33/1 with Bet365 to score three or more goals in this match.
- Angel di Maria and Gonzalo Higuain will be coming up against their Real Madrid team-mates Sami Khedira and Mesut Ozil on Wednesday.
|William Hill: £25 in free bets|
|Sign up with bet365 for a 100% deposit bonus up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Germany 1-3 Argentina
- 16.64 %
Germany 2-1 Argentina
- 10.58 %
Germany 1-2 Argentina
- 9.98 %
|International Friendlies (FR)||15 Aug 2012||Germany 1 - Argentina 3|
|World Cup (WC)||3 Jul 2010||Argentina 0 - Germany 4|
|International Friendlies (FR)||3 Mar 2010||Germany 0 - Argentina 1|
|World Cup 2006 (WC)||30 Jun 2006||Germany 5 - Argentina 3|
|5 Mar 2014||Germany 1 - Chile 0||FR|
|19 Nov 2013||England 0 - Germany 1||FR|
|15 Nov 2013||Italy 1 - Germany 1||FR|
|15 Oct 2013||Sweden 3 - Germany 5||WCQE|
|11 Oct 2013||Germany 3 - Republic of Ireland 0||WCQE|
|-||Marc-Andre ter Stegen||Goalkeeper|
|7||Ángel Di María||Midfielder|