Chelsea – Liverpool Preview: Andre Villas-Boas hunting League Cup glory to soften blow of worst start to a season since Roman Abramovich bought club
The Blues have had a poor start to their campaign in the top flight, and with the Reds on a 10-match unbeaten run they will have their work cut out at Stamford Bridge
By Alfie Meekings
Bosingwa, Alex, Ivanovic, Bertrand
Romeu, McEachran, Lampard
Kalou, Torres, Malouda
Kelly, Coates, Carragher, Agger
Kuyt, Spearing, Lucas, Henderson, Maxi
Liverpool are unlikely to recall Craig Bellamy, who missed Sunday’s clash with Manchester City following Gary Speed's death. Kenny Dalglish is likely to hand a start to youngsters Martin Kelly and Jay Spearing, while Andy Carroll could get the nod after spending the last two matches on the bench.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Chelsea have had their worst start to a season since Roman Abramovich took control of the club in 2003.
- Dalglish (right) is unbeaten against the Blues in 11 games as Liverpool manager.
- In the last seven seasons, this will be the 30th encounter between the two sides. Chelsea have won 12 and Liverpool 10.
- The Reds are unbeaten in their last 10 matches in all competitions.
- Villas-Boas’ men have scored in only two of their last five meetings with Liverpool at Stamford Bridge.
- Dalglish’s men have won the competition a record seven times, with their last success coming in 2003.
- The hosts have won the competition four times, once in 2005 with a victory over Liverpool in the final.
- Carroll and Torres have a combined value of £85 million and have scored 186 goals in their club careers, but only have a combined total of seven for their current sides.
- The visitors have won in only four of their last 20 visits to Stamford Bridge.
- The home side have lost only two games at Stamford Bridge this season.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
|Sign up with Betway for a £50 free bet!|
Top 3 Predictions
Chelsea FC 0-9 Liverpool
- 31.35 %
Chelsea FC 2-0 Liverpool
- 9.6 %
Chelsea FC 1-2 Liverpool
- 8.83 %
|Premier League (EPL)||21 Apr 2013||Liverpool 2 - Chelsea FC 2|
|Premier League (EPL)||11 Nov 2012||Chelsea FC 1 - Liverpool 1|
|Premier League (EPL)||8 May 2012||Liverpool 4 - Chelsea FC 1|
|FA Cup (FA)||5 May 2012||Liverpool 1 - Chelsea FC 2|
|Capital One Cup (CCUP)||29 Nov 2011||Chelsea FC 0 - Liverpool 2|
|17 Dec 2013||Sunderland 2 - Chelsea FC 1||CCUP|
|14 Dec 2013||Chelsea FC 2 - Crystal Palace 1||EPL|
|11 Dec 2013||Chelsea FC 1 - Steaua Bucureşti 0||UCL|
|7 Dec 2013||Stoke City 3 - Chelsea FC 2||EPL|
|4 Dec 2013||Sunderland 3 - Chelsea FC 4||EPL|
On his day, the Spaniard is one of the best strikers in the country, if not the world. He has not managed to find the form of his Anfield days at Chelsea, but recently the 27-year-old has shown glimpses of the quality he possesses. Will look to drop into wide areas to split the Reds’ defence.
The big centre forward has not been given many chances at Liverpool of late and will be out to show Dalglish that he is worth every bit of his hefty £35m price tag. He’ll look to use his strength and power to get stuck straight into the Chelsea backline, and will be a threat in the air throughout the match.