Argentina - Nigeria Preview: New coach Alejando Sabella looking to maintain winning start
The South Americans defeated Venezuela on Friday, and will put out a strong side against the African nation in a friendly on Tuesday night
By Roger Gonzalez
Zabaleta, Demichelis, Otamendi, Rojo
Gonzalez Mascherano, Pastore
Messi, Higuain, Di Maria
Okonkwo, Elderson, Yobo, Ambrose
Joel Obi, Mikel Obi, Musa
Obinna, Anichebe, I. Uche
Sabella looks set to stick with Lionel Messi, Gonzalo Higuain and Angel Di Maria up top, whilst PSG's Javier Pastore could replace Ricardo Alvarez to add to the creativity in the midfield.
Ikechukwu Uche knows what it takes to beat Argentina having scored twice in the 4-1 win over the South Americans in June. He will be looked upon to provide his scoring touch again in Tuesday's friendly, joined in an attacking trio by Victor Obinna and Victor Anichebe.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Argentina defeated Venezuela 1-0 on Friday thanks to a second-half goal by Nicolas Otamendi (pictured right), his first goal for his country.
- Midfielder Ricardo Alvarez earned his first cap for the national team in the win over Cesar Farias' men.
- Sabella won the 2009 Copa Libertadores as the coach of Estudiandes de La Plata.
- On September 14 and 28, the two-time World Cup winners will play Brazil, with both teams fielding players from their domestic leagues.
- Nigeria coach Samson Siasia was born in Ghana.
- The Super Eagles downed Madagascar 2-0 in an African Cup of Nations 2012 qualifying match on Sunday.
- In the 2002 and 2010 World Cups, the African side played Argentina in the group stage, losing 1-0 on both occassions.
- Captain Joseph Yobo has 70 caps, 17 behind Nwankwo Kanu, who is the most capped Nigerian international.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
Top 3 Predictions
Argentina 1-2 Nigeria
- 22.08 %
Argentina 1-3 Nigeria
- 11.33 %
Argentina 3-1 Nigeria
- 7.28 %
|International Friendlies (FR)||6 Sep 2011||Argentina 3 - Nigeria 1|
|International Friendlies (FR)||1 Jun 2011||Nigeria 4 - Argentina 1|
|World Cup 2010 (WC)||12 Jun 2010||Argentina 1 - Nigeria 0|
|26 Mar 2013||Bolivia 1 - Argentina 1||WCQS|
|23 Mar 2013||Argentina 3 - Venezuela 0||WCQS|
|6 Feb 2013||Sweden 2 - Argentina 3||FR|
|22 Nov 2012||Argentina 2 - Brazil 1||FR|
|14 Nov 2012||Saudi Arabia 0 - Argentina 0||FR|
|Returns:||Argentina £14.00||Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Returns:||Draw £510.00||Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Returns:||Nigeria £710.00||Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|-||Nicolas Andres Burdisso|
|7||Ángel Di María||Midfielder|
|12||Mariano Gonzalo Andújar||Goalkeeper|
|-||Bamidele Mathew Aiyenugba|
|21||Uwa Elderson Echiejile||Defender|
|10||John Obi Mikel||Midfielder|
|-||Chinedu Ogbuke Obasi|
|Ángel Di María|
The Real Madrid star takes more shots than anyone else on the team. The problem is many of them go wide of the goal, evident by the several poor shots he took against Venezuela. Battling Nigeria, look for Di Maria to try and use his speed to beat his defenders to get better looks on goal instead of settling for shots from outside of the box.
The former Zaragoza man looks to terrorise Argentina again after bagging a brace in the 4-1 win over the South Americans in June. The Nigerian midfield will look for Uche early and often in the contest as they try to make it consecutive wins against the two-time World Cup winners.
Nicolas Otamendi scored the winner against Venezuela, but the strikers for Argentina should come alive in the battle against the Super Eagles with Lionel Messi leading the way.
Times In GMT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed