Brazil - Ghana Preview: Selecao face in-form Black Stars seeking first win in three games
After a disappointing Copa America, Mano Menezes' side will hope for a change in form at Craven Cottage whilst Ghana look to improve on their recent impressive performances
By Tom Webber
Daniel Alves, Lucio, Thiago Silva, Marcelo
Lucas Leiva, Fernandinho, Ganso
Neymar, Leandro Damiao
Paintsil, Mensah, Vorsah, Opare
D. Boateng, Agyemang-Badu
Adiyiah, A. Ayew, Muntari
Mano Menezes has made a number of changes to his squad following a disappointing Copa America. Leandro Damiao and Ronaldinho have been recalled due to their consistent performances in the Brasileiro and could be rewarded with starting spots. Marcelo is likely to start in defence following the withdrawal of Barcelona's Adriano. Robinho also withdrew from the squad due to injury but no replacement was needed as Menezes judged his remaining attacking options sufficient.
Following a number of changes to the starting line-up ahead of their 2-0 AFCON qualification victory over Swaziland, Goran Stevanovic may stick to a similar side. Norway-born goalkeeper Adam Kwarasey kept a clean sheet on his debut so may well hold on to his position. The Black Stars will be without two key players in Asamoah Gyan and John Mensah due to injury, with the latter being replaced in defence by his namesake, who plays his club football for Evian in France.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Brazil have won their last five games on British soil against a variety of opponents. Their last defeat in the UK came almost 20 years ago in 1991. The match took place in Cardiff and Wales earned a 1-0 victory.
- Ronaldinho has been recalled to the Brazilian squad following a renaissance in the Brasileiro. He could make his first appearance for the national team in nine months.
- The Selecao are looking for their first win in three games after defeat to Paraguay on penalties was followed by a loss to Germany.
- Brazil came out on top the last time the two teams met. Vagner Love netted the only goal of the game in a friendly match in Sweden.
- Ghana are currently unbeaten during their AFCON qualification campaign.
- The Black Stars have never defeated Brazil in a senior international game.
- The African side have impressed with their performances recently and have only lost one of their last nine games. That defeat coming at the hands of South Korea in a friendly match.
- Ghana's last game in the UK was a spirited performance against the English national team at Wembley. The Black Stars performed well and earned a 1-1 draw.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
|Sign up with Betway for a £50 free bet!|
Top 3 Predictions
Brazil 1-2 Ghana
- 14.59 %
Brazil 3-1 Ghana
- 13.85 %
Brazil 3-0 Ghana
- 10.69 %
|International Friendlies (FR)||5 Sep 2011||Brazil 1 - Ghana 0|
|World Cup 2006 (WC)||27 Jun 2006||Brazil 3 - Ghana 0|
|20 Nov 2013||Brazil 2 - Chile 1||FR|
|17 Nov 2013||Honduras 0 - Brazil 5||FR|
|15 Oct 2013||Brazil 2 - Zambia 0||FR|
|12 Oct 2013||South Korea 0 - Brazil 2||FR|
|11 Sep 2013||Brazil 3 - Portugal 1||FR|
Times In GMT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed