Manchester United - Fulham Preview: Visitors haven't scored at Old Trafford since 2006
Sir Alex Ferguson's side are on a great run of form as they look to beat their city rivals to a record 20th top-flight title, and have a good home record against Martin Jol's team
By Joe Doyle
Rafael, Evans, Ferdinand, Evra
Valencia, Carrick, Giggs, Young
Kelly, Senderos, Hangeland, Riise
Duff, Dempsey, Dembele
There are no fresh injury worries for Sir Alex Ferguson, so it should be a case of picking his strongest team available, but Paul Scholes could be due for a rest as the Red Devils face opponents against whom they traditionally have a good record at Old Trafford.
Fulham confirmed earlier in the week that the only unavailable players for the trip to Manchester would be Orlando Sa, Zdenek Grygera and Steve Sidwell. In recent weeks they have been playing a more attacking formation, with Moussa Dembele dropping deep and both Pavel Pogrebnyak and Andrew Johnson up front.
But, up against the champions at Old Trafford, expect a more imposing central midfield of Danny Murphy and Mahamadou Diarra, with Dembele in an attacking role.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- The last goal that Fulham scored at Old Trafford came in 2006, an own goal from Rio Ferdinand.
- Manchester United have won nine penalties this season, the most in the Premier League.
- Wayne Rooney has scored 16 goals in his last 16 games for United in all competitions.
- The England striker also has five goals in his last four games against Fulham at Old Trafford. Rooney is 15/4 with Sportingbet to score a hat-trick in this match.
- Martin Jol has never beaten Manchester United in the Premier League as a manager. After drawing his first two matches against them, he has lost the last seven.
- Pavel Pogrebnyak has scored five goals for Fulham from five shots on target.
- Only David Silva has more assists than Antonio Valencia this season, creating 12 goals to the United winger's 11.
- Both sides are in a select group of four teams to have scored more than five goals in a game this season - with United beating Arsenal 8-2 and Fulham beating QPR 6-0. The others to make up the group are Arsenal and Manchester City.
- Since United's 3-3 draw against Chelsea, they have won five straight league games. However, in that same period of time they have lost three games in the all competitions, including twice at home in the Europa League.
|William Hill: £25 in free bets|
|Sign up with bet365 for a 100% deposit bonus up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Manchester United 3-0 Fulham
- 24.31 %
Manchester United 4-0 Fulham
- 13.06 %
Manchester United 5-0 Fulham
- 11.78 %
|Premier League (EPL)||9 Feb 2014||Manchester United 2 - Fulham 2|
|Premier League (EPL)||2 Nov 2013||Fulham 1 - Manchester United 3|
|Premier League (EPL)||2 Feb 2013||Fulham 0 - Manchester United 1|
|FA Cup (FA)||26 Jan 2013||Manchester United 4 - Fulham 1|
|Premier League (EPL)||25 Aug 2012||Manchester United 3 - Fulham 2|
|9 Apr 2014||FC Bayern München 3 - Manchester United 1||UCL|
|5 Apr 2014||Newcastle United 0 - Manchester United 4||EPL|
|1 Apr 2014||Manchester United 1 - FC Bayern München 1||UCL|
|29 Mar 2014||Manchester United 4 - Aston Villa 1||EPL|
|25 Mar 2014||Manchester United 0 - Manchester City 3||EPL|
|1||David de Gea||Goalkeeper|
|3||John Arne Riise||Defender|
The English striker has been in good goalscoring form this season, notching 20 league goals already. He is only six behind his best ever figures, achieved in the 2009-10 season. Rooney will have been a little disappointed not to have got on the scoresheet in the 5-0 rout of Wolves last weekend, but he did lay on a great assist for Antonio Valencia and was a general menace.The English striker has been in good goalscoring form this season, notching 20 league goals already. He is only six behind his best ever figures, achieved in the 2009-10 season. Rooney will have been a little disappointed not to have got on the scoresheet in the 5-0 rout of Wolves last weekend, but he did lay on a great assist for Antonio Valencia and was a general menace.
The American midfielder is another player in fine form in front of goal this season, grabbing 12 league goals to equal his best ever return in England with nine games still to play. United will have to watch out for his aerial presence and the way he combines with Moussa Dembele, especially on the counterattack.The American midfielder is another player in fine form in front of goal this season, grabbing 12 league goals to equal his best ever return in England with nine games still to play. United will have to watch out for his aerial presence and the way he combines with Moussa Dembele, especially on the counterattack.
Fulham haven't scored at Old Trafford in the past five seasons, and while they should break that duck, they have little hope of defeating the the champions at home as momentum builds towards another title for Sir Alex Ferguson's side after Manchester City's draw against Stoke.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed