Newcastle United - Norwich Preview: Pardew looking for win in 500th league game
Paul Lambert's men travel to the Sports Direct Arena without a win in three, while the Magpies need their first win in four to revive Europa League aspirations
By Husmukh Kerai
Simpson, Coloccini, Williamson, Santon
Obertan, Cabaye, Tiote, Gutierrez
Naughton, Ward, Whitbread, Drury
Fox, Hoolahan, Surman, Pilkington
Alan Pardew will have to sweat on late fitness tests for both Danny Simpson (muscle) and Cheick Tiote (thigh) but Ryan Taylor (calf) has been ruled out for a further week, with Leon Best (knee) an additional seven days on top.
In what is his 500th league game as a manager, Pardew will be hoping to reverse the 4-2 loss he suffered at the hands of Norwich back in December and keep his side’s Europa League hopes alive.
Paul Lambert has a number of squad players out, all are expected to return to training before the end of the month.
Jonny Howson (illness), James Vaughan (knee), Daniel Ayala (hamstring)and Marc Tierney (groin) will all miss the trip to the Sports Direct Arena.
With a deeply impressive first term in the Premier League since promotion, Lambert will be hoping a victory can consolidate a mid-table finish with 10 games of the campaign remaining.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- This match will be Alan Pardew's (pictured right) 500th league game as a manager. He has won 211, drawn 132 and lost 156 as the boss of Reading, West Ham, Charlton, Southampton and Newcastle.
- Newcastle are hoping to win the first time in four games, conceding 10 goals in those matches.
- Newcastle goalkeeper Tim Krul is set to make his 50th league appearance.
- Alan Pardew's side have been awarded 9 penalties this season, while Norwich have only been awarded one.
- Norwich have covered the greatest distance collectively in the Premier League this season, with 1879 miles in total.
- Paul Lambert will complete their first ever league double against Newcastle if they win at the Sport Direct Arena, following a 4-2 win and Carrow Road in December.
- A draw will see Norwich earn their 1000th top flight point.
- Newcastle have conceded 16 goals in 2012, only Blackburn and Wolves have conceded more.
|William Hill: £25 in free bets|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Newcastle United 2-0 Norwich City
- 18.63 %
Newcastle United 2-1 Norwich City
- 17.39 %
Newcastle United 3-1 Norwich City
- 15.53 %
|Premier League (EPL)||28 Jan 2014||Norwich City 0 - Newcastle United 0|
|Premier League (EPL)||23 Nov 2013||Newcastle United 2 - Norwich City 1|
|Premier League (EPL)||12 Jan 2013||Norwich City 0 - Newcastle United 0|
|Premier League (EPL)||23 Sep 2012||Newcastle United 1 - Norwich City 0|
|Premier League (EPL)||18 Mar 2012||Newcastle United 1 - Norwich City 0|
|1 Mar 2014||Hull City 1 - Newcastle United 4||EPL|
|23 Feb 2014||Newcastle United 1 - Aston Villa 0||EPL|
|12 Feb 2014||Newcastle United 0 - Tottenham 4||EPL|
|8 Feb 2014||Chelsea FC 3 - Newcastle United 0||EPL|
|1 Feb 2014||Newcastle United 0 - Sunderland 3||EPL|
|10||Hatem Ben Arfa||Midfielder|
The Senegalese striker opened his account on his debut and scored after just six minutes against Wolves in the following game but has failed to follow up with further good performances.
He will be hoping to create a partnership with his fellow countryman Demba Ba against Norwich at home, after being left out of the Newcastle side that lost 2-1 to Arsenal.
The Irishman is the creative spark behind Norwich's success in the Premier League this season.
His form has been inconsistent this season, but he managed to open the scoring against Wigan last week with cheeky effort. He will be hoping for a similar start to the game at the Sports Direct Arena.
Newcastle's best form as come in front of their home crowd, meanwhile Norwich have dropped most of their points on their travels.
Paul Lambert's team always look to play every match on the front foot but I expect Newcastle to come out on fire following their late defeat against Arsenal.
Their attacking threat should prove too much for the away team over 90 minutes.