thumbnail Hello,

Premier League

  • 7 April 2012
  • • 15:00
  • • Carrow Road, Norwich, Norfolk
  • Referee: A. Marriner
  • • Attendance: 26554

Norwich 2-2 Everton: Holt equaliser denies Moyes' men a victory despite Jelavic double

Norwich 2-2 Everton: Holt equaliser denies Moyes' men a victory despite Jelavic double

Getty Images

The Canaries came from behind twice to draw with the Toffess in a hard-fought match that saw both teams move up the Premier League table

Norwich City came back twice to draw 2-2 with Everton during an enthralling fixture at Carrow Road.

Nikica Jelavic opened the scoring for Everton but Norwich replied five minutes before half-time with Jonny Howson equalising for the home side. Everton then regained the lead in the second-half as Jelavic again put the Toffees ahead only to see Grant Holt slot the ball home to ensure the points were shared.

The work rate from both teams was admirable and either side could have gone on to win the game but, as it finished, Everton still remain a point clear of Merseyside rivals Liverpool while Norwich lie two points off 10th place.  

Grant Holt was back in the Norwich starting line-up after serving a one-match suspension whilst Sylvain Distin returned to the heart of the Everton defence as both managers named strong sides. Seamus Coleman was named on the bench for the visitors while Jack Rodwell was missing with a hamstring injury.  

Both teams started brightly in the opening 20 minutes of the match but neither side failed to find a finish product despite their hard work rate and determination.

Everton’s first genuine chance of the game resulted in a goal for the away side. On 23 minutes Jelavic scored a side-footed effort in the six-yard box. Phil Neville passed from a free-kick to Phil Jagielka who sent in a low cross into the box which the striker finished coolly.

Norwich then showed more effort to get forward and Everton had to weather something of a storm from the men in yellow and green.

On the 39th minute Norwich finally found a breakthrough with their only genuine chance of the game to that point. Wesley Hoolahan made a darting run into the box and drove a low cross across the six-yard box for Howson to tap it in and score his first goal for the Canaries.    

Leighton Baines, who picked up a yellow card early on in the first-half, was lucky to stay on the pitch after sliding in high on David Fox, a challenge which deserved a second yellow card.

Norwich continued to get forward and finish the half on a high and they had two penalty shouts near the end of the first period. The first was a collision between Elliott Bennett and two Everton defenders but was rightly denied by referee Andre Marriner.

Norwich’s second penalty shout was more convincing, as Jagielka looked to have blocked Andrew Surman’s shot with his hand, but the referee again decided not to give a penalty as the first half came to an end.

After the restart, Norwich started off strongly applying pressure on the Everton goal with a couple of half chances, most notably Howson testing Tim Howard with a great shot which the American could only parry away.  

Everton then scored a second goal on the 69th minute thanks to a controversial decision from the referee. Steven Pienaar obstructed play by trapping the ball between his legs but no foul was given and he played it forward to Jelavic who once again guided the ball into the back of the net.

The second Everton goal had taken a lot out of the Canaries as their hard work was undone by a poor mistake from referee Andre Marriner.

However, on 76 minutes, Holt equalised for Norwich to give the hosts ample reward for their endeavour.

Aaron Wilbraham saw his shot saved by Howard but he had the awareness to set up Holt who slotted the ball home for Norwich to make it 2-2.  

Both teams looked like going on to win the game with half chances but neither side could convert their final chances for the three points.  

Follow the Premier League LIVE on
Commentaries, Stats, Player Ratings and much more,
Visit Live Scores!