Newcastle - Sunderland Preview: Hosts aiming for Tyne-Wear derby double this season
Alan Pardew's men are looking to follow up their 1-0 victory at the Stadium of Light in August - watch it live on ESPN this Sunday from 11am
By Jonathan Birchall
Simpson, Coloccini, Williamson, Santon
Taylor, Tiote, Cabaye, Gutierrez
Gardner, Turner, O'Shea, Richardson
Larsson, Cattermole, Colback, McClean
Newcastle are hopeful that Papiss Cisse can start up front alongside Senegalese strike partner Demba Ba, despite having been substituted in last week's draw with Wolves after picking up a groin strain.
Magpies boss Alan Pardew has no suspended players for the derby clash and, with only long-term absentees such as Leon Best, Sammy Ameobi and Steven Taylor currently troubling the Newcastle treatment table, the home side will go into the game with near-enough their strongest possible XI.
Sunderland are also relatively injury-free at present but are sweating over the fitness of Phil Bardsley after the right-back withdrew from Scotland's squad to face Slovenia in midweek.
The derby could see a return for David Vaughan to the midfield however, though the former Crewe man is more likely to start on the bench after having spent just over a month out with an ankle knock.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Newcastle have lost only one of the last 14 Tyne-Wear derbies.
- However, the Magpies haven't been able to secure consecutive wins over Sunderland in the same season since the 2005-06 campaign.
- If Pardew's men were to grab victory in Sunday's clash, it would be the club's 10th derby double over their neighbours. Sunderland have achieved the feat six times.
- To date, the Tyneside outfit have 53 wins in the fixture, while the Black Cats only have 44. There have been 47 draws between the two teams. A draw with over 2.5 goals is 11/1 with Bet365.
- The first competitive Tyne-Wear derby took place in the FA Cup in 1888, with Sunderland emerging as 2-0 victors.
- The Stadium of Light outfit have lost just three games in the Premier League since Martin O'Neill replaced Steve Bruce as manager, picking up 22 points from a possible 36.
- The Mackems have failed to keep a clean sheet against their rivals in 23 games.
- Newcastle legend Jimmy Lawrence has made more Tyne-Wear derby appearances than any other player (27), but it is former Sunderland man George Holley who has scored the most amount of goals in the clash (22).
- Both teams have players within their squads who have crossed the Tyne-Wear divide, with Newcastle man Danny Simpson having played on loan at Sunderland in 2007, and Black Cats defender Titus Bramble having spent five years as a Magpie.
- Sunderland haven't won in Newcastle since their 2-1 victory on November 18, 2000.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
Top 3 Predictions
Newcastle United 2-1 Sunderland
- 16.77 %
Newcastle United 1-2 Sunderland
- 14.07 %
Newcastle United 3-1 Sunderland
- 12.58 %
|Premier League (EPL)||14 Apr 2013||Newcastle United 0 - Sunderland 3|
|Premier League (EPL)||21 Oct 2012||Sunderland 1 - Newcastle United 1|
|Premier League (EPL)||4 Mar 2012||Newcastle United 1 - Sunderland 1|
|Premier League (EPL)||20 Aug 2011||Sunderland 0 - Newcastle United 1|
|Premier League (EPL)||16 Jan 2011||Sunderland 1 - Newcastle United 1|
|19 May 2013||Newcastle United 0 - Arsenal FC 1||EPL|
|12 May 2013||QPR 1 - Newcastle United 2||EPL|
|4 May 2013||West Ham 0 - Newcastle United 0||EPL|
|27 Apr 2013||Newcastle United 0 - Liverpool 6||EPL|
|20 Apr 2013||West Bromwich Albion 1 - Newcastle United 1||EPL|
|Returns:||Newcastle United £260.00||Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Returns:||Draw £55.00||Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Returns:||Sunderland £34.00||Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|10||Hatem Ben Arfa||Midfielder|
The Frenchman has been a revelation since his summer move from Ligue 1 and has the ability to dictate the pace of high-pressure games such as the derby. If his team-mates provide him with enough service through the middle, Cabaye could pick Sunderland apart.
The Black Cats' not-so-secret weapon on the wing has emerged as the face of O'Neill's revolution at the Stadium of Light and will be buoyant after making his international debut for Ireland in midweek. The home side will no doubt be wary of his pace, whether they can stop him or not is a whole different issue entirely.
Both sides had disappointing weekends last time out, as Newcastle through away a win against Wolves and Sunderland were hammered by Roy Hodgson's West Brom. As such, I expect a cagey opening but can see the hosts' superior quality in midfield eventually paying dividends and therefore predict a comfortable Magpies win.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed