QPR - Tottenham Preview: Visitors out to bounce back from FA Cup semi-final heartache by grabbing three vital points
Harry Redknapp’s side need a boost after winning just one of their last eight top-flight games but will have to perform against a Hoops side battling to avoid relegation
By Shane Farrington
Onuoha, Hill, Ferdinand, Taiwo
Barton, Derry, Diakite, Taarabt
Walker, Gallas, Kaboul, Assou-Ekotto
Lennon, Parker, Modric, Bale
QPR boss Mark Hughes is likely to hand Djibril Cisse a starting place following his return from a four-game ban. Jamie Mackie could well be the player to make way for the former Lazio striker as Hughes looks for a vital win. This may be the only change from the side that narrowly lost to West Brom.
This will mean that the club’s top scorer Heidar Helguson, who recently made his comeback from injury, will again have to settle for a place on the bench. Long-term injury victims Kieron Dyer (foot) and Alejandro Faurlin (knee) are still out.
As for the visitors, Harry Redknapp could make a number of changes to the side that lost 5-1 to Chelsea in the FA Cup semi-final. Brad Friedel is set to take Carlo Cudicini’s place in goal, while in front of him Younes Kaboul looks poised to return, with either Ledley King or William Gallas dropping out.
Scott Parker should recover from a hamstring injury picked up against Chelsea and start the game. There could be a change up front with the Spurs boss possibly looking to play two out-and-out strikers. This would mean Rafael van der Vaart dropping to the bench with Louis Saha coming in. Michael Dawson and Tom Huddlestone remain sidelined.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- QPR have won all of their last three matches at Loftus Road - a 3-2 win over Liverpool, a 2-1 victory over Arsenal and a 3-0 triumph against Swansea City.
- Bobby Zamora (pictured right) failed to score in 16 Premier League appearances during his spell at Tottenham in the 2003-04 season. He has netted only two league goals since joining the Hoops from Fulham in January.
- Of the previous nine Premier League meetings between the two teams, QPR have won three, Spurs four and there has been two draws.
- The previous meeting this season at White Hart Lane finished in a 3-1 win to Harry Redknapp’s side. Gareth Bale grabbed two with Rafael van der Vaart also on the scoresheet. Jay Bothroyd scored QPR’s goal.
- Tottenham have only won one of their last eight Premier League matches - a 3-1 home win against Swansea City.
- Emmanuel Adebayor is currently Tottenham’s top scorer with 13 goals from his 29 league appearances. He is also the only player apart from Robin van Persie to hit double figures for both goals and assists this season in the Premier League.
- The hosts have not beaten Redknapp's side since 1995, a 2-1 victory at home. Spurs are 8/1 to win the game 2-0 with bet365.
- Spurs have failed to score in their last three away games, and haven't won on the road this calendar year. Their last victory came at Carrow Road, beating Norwich City 2-0 on December 27.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
Top 3 Predictions
QPR 2-1 Tottenham
- 16.3 %
QPR 0-2 Tottenham
- 14.55 %
QPR 1-3 Tottenham
- 11.38 %
|Premier League (EPL)||12 Jan 2013||QPR 0 - Tottenham 0|
|Premier League (EPL)||23 Sep 2012||Tottenham 2 - QPR 1|
|Premier League (EPL)||21 Apr 2012||QPR 1 - Tottenham 0|
|Premier League (EPL)||30 Oct 2011||Tottenham 3 - QPR 1|
|19 May 2013||Liverpool 1 - QPR 0||EPL|
|12 May 2013||QPR 1 - Newcastle United 2||EPL|
|4 May 2013||QPR 0 - Arsenal FC 1||EPL|
|28 Apr 2013||Reading 0 - QPR 0||EPL|
|20 Apr 2013||QPR 0 - Stoke City 2||EPL|
|Returns:||QPR £38.00||Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Returns:||Draw £60.00||Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Returns:||Tottenham £340.00||Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|23||Rafael van der Vaart||Midfielder|
|9||Giovani dos Santos||Striker|
The Frenchman returns from a ban after picking up his second red card since joining the club from Lazio in January. The former Liverpool man has found the back of the net in three of his five league appearances for the club and his pace and power could cause the Spurs backline all sorts of problems. His partnership up front with Bobby Zamora has looked promising and it could well go some way to deciding the outcome of the game.
The Welshman has moved to the left of midfield again following a spell in a more central position and looks to be getting back to his best form. With nine goals from his 31 league appearances for Spurs this season, the former Southampton man has proved he has the talent to build on last season’s sparkling campaign. If he performs well then Spurs usually do, and Harry Redknapp will be desperate for a match-winning display from his key man.
Both clubs need the win for completely different reasons - QPR desperately need the three points as they look to secure their Premier League status, whereas Spurs need to boost their hopes of finishing in a Champions League spot. The hosts have won their last three home games against Liverpool, Arsenal and Swansea but could have to settle for a draw against their London rivals, with both teams getting on the scoresheet.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed