Sunderland - Norwich City Preview: Black Cats undefeated in their last five matches at the Stadium of Light
Hosts are also without defeat in their last eight matches in all competitions, while Paul Lambert's men arrive after going five games unbeaten away from home
By Adithya Ananth
Bardsley, O'Shea, Turner, Richardson
Larsson, Colback, Gardner, McClean
Martin, Ayala, Whitbread, Naughton
Pilkington, Johnson, Fox, Surman
Marcos Angeleri (knee), Nicklas Bendtner (face), Titus Bramble (Achilles), Matthew Kilgallon and David Vaughan (both ankle) are all sidelined with respective injuries.
With Bramble out, Michael Turner should partner John O'Shea in the centre of defence, while Vaughan's absence could mean another start for Craig Gardner.
Up front, Connor Wickham should play despite Fraizer Campbell returning from injury to score against Middlesbrough in the FA Cup on Sunday.
Norwich City manager Paul Lambert has goalkeeper Declan Rudd out of action through ankle injury. James Vaughan and Ward Elliott are both recovering from knee injuries and remain doubtful of making it in time for the upcoming clash.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Sunderland met these opponents for the first time in the Premier League in September last year. They were beaten 2-1 at Carrow Road on the day.
- In fact, the team playing at home has not lost in the last eight meetings between the two teams in the league.
- Martin O'Neill's arrival has seen the home side come back into form, as they have picked up 16 points since he was handed the reins. Only Manchester United - who have picked up 18 points - have done better during this time.
- The Black Cats have lost only one of their last eight matches - the defeat came against Chelsea - while they are undefeated in their last five at the Stadium of Light.
- Norwich City are unbeaten in the last five games away from home in all competitions.
- Neither club has beaten the other by more than a one-goal margin in the league since 1985, when Norwich managed a 2-0 win over the Wearsiders.
- The visitors have conceded 36 goals so far in the Premier League. No team in the top 10 has shipped in more.
- If all matches had ended at half-time, then Norwich would be in eighth place, just behind Arsenal.
How do you stay up to date with football when on the move? With http://m.goal.com – your best source for mobile coverage of the beautiful game.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
Top 3 Predictions
Sunderland 2-1 Norwich City
- 19.42 %
Sunderland 1-2 Norwich City
- 11.51 %
Sunderland 1-1 Norwich City
- 11.51 %
|Premier League (EPL)||17 Mar 2013||Sunderland 1 - Norwich City 1|
|Premier League (EPL)||2 Dec 2012||Norwich City 2 - Sunderland 1|
|Premier League (EPL)||1 Feb 2012||Sunderland 3 - Norwich City 0|
|Premier League (EPL)||26 Sep 2011||Norwich City 2 - Sunderland 1|
|19 May 2013||Tottenham 1 - Sunderland 0||EPL|
|12 May 2013||Sunderland 1 - Southampton 1||EPL|
|6 May 2013||Sunderland 1 - Stoke City 1||EPL|
|29 Apr 2013||Aston Villa 6 - Sunderland 1||EPL|
|20 Apr 2013||Sunderland 1 - Everton 0||EPL|
|Returns:||Sunderland £17.30||Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Returns:||Draw £150.00||Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Returns:||Norwich City £460.00||Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|27||Ahmed El Mohamady||Midfielder|
Connor Wickham will likely want to give a strong performance and put one or more into the back of the net, following Fraizer Campbell ‘sreturn from injury to score a goal against Middlesbrough.
John Ruddy will likely have to put in a good performance at the Stadium of Light if his side are to take anything from the game, since the Black Cats have vastly improved in form since Martin O'Neill took over.
Both teams are side-by-side in the Premier League and will undoubtedly look to move higher up. But O'Neill is a smart manager, and he should be able to guide the Black Cats to a narrow victory.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed