Everton - Newcastle Preview: Visitors fighting for Champions League as the Toffees aim to finish above Liverpool
The Magpies must win and hope Tottenham and Arsenal drop points in order to finish third, whilst Moyes' men need all three points to guarantee seventh ahead of their local rivals
By Husmukh Kerai
Hibbert, Distin, Jagielka, Baines
Osman, Fellaini, Gibson, Cahill, Pienaar
Perch, Williamson, Coloccini, Santon
Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Tiote, Gutierrez
Everton will be without Jack Rodwell due to a hamstring injury while Victor Anichebe will also miss out with a groin problem.
However, Leighton Baines, Darron Gibson and Phil Neville all resumed full training this week and are in contention to return to the starting line-up.Alan Pardew will again be without defender Danny Simpson, who was ruled out for the remaining two games with an ankle problem, and Leon Best did not travel because of a thigh injury.
Danny Guthrie is set to return to the squad and should make the bench for the game after overcoming his calf problem.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Everton are unbeaten in their last eight Premier League matches, currently the longest such run in the league.
- The Toffees have had 17 different goalscorers so far this season, a joint best along with Arsenal.
- David Moyes' men have the third-best defensive record in the league, only the two Manchester clubs have conceded fewer goals than Everton this season (39).
- Newcastle's Demba Ba (pictured right) is yet to score in a league game in which he has started alongside his fellow countryman Papiss Cisse.
- Papiss Cisse has 13 goals in 13 Premier League games since arriving on Tyneside in the January transfer window from Freiburg.
- Newcastle are the only team who are yet to score an own goal in the Premier League this season.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
|Sign up with Betway for a £50 free bet!|
Top 3 Predictions
Everton 1-2 Newcastle United
- 13.78 %
Everton 2-1 Newcastle United
- 13.59 %
Everton 0-2 Newcastle United
- 8.99 %
|Premier League (EPL)||30 Sep 2013||Everton 3 - Newcastle United 2|
|Premier League (EPL)||2 Jan 2013||Newcastle United 1 - Everton 2|
|Premier League (EPL)||17 Sep 2012||Everton 2 - Newcastle United 2|
|Premier League (EPL)||13 May 2012||Everton 3 - Newcastle United 1|
|Premier League (EPL)||5 Nov 2011||Newcastle United 2 - Everton 1|
|14 Dec 2013||Everton 4 - Fulham 1||EPL|
|8 Dec 2013||Arsenal FC 1 - Everton 1||EPL|
|4 Dec 2013||Manchester United 0 - Everton 1||EPL|
|30 Nov 2013||Everton 4 - Stoke City 0||EPL|
|23 Nov 2013||Everton 3 - Liverpool 3||EPL|
|10||Hatem Ben Arfa||Midfielder|
The Croatian was wrongly denied a goal by an offside flag last week against Wolves and with European Championship ambitions of his own, he will want to impress Croatia boss Slaven Bilic and finish the campaign with a bang.
|Hatem Ben Arfa|
The Frenchman's first goal for his club came in this fixture at Goodison Park last year. While providing a constant attacking threat with his pace and dribbling skills, his presence on Newcastle's right flank should also occupy Leighton Baines and reduce the threat of the Everton left-back hurting Newcastle down that side.
With the Champions League within their grasp the visitors will hope to avoid any slip-ups in order to put the pressure firmly on Tottenham.