Sunderland - Wigan Athletic Preview: Steve Bruce's men looking to improve home form
Black Cats lock horns with the bottom placed side in the Premier League, but will have to be wary as the Latics have history on their side in terms of head-to-head meetings
By Adithya Ananth
O'Shea, Brown, Turner, Bardsley
Elmohamady, Colback, Cattermole, Larsson
Stam, Caldwell, Gohouri, Figueroa
Diame, McCarthy, Jones
Moses, Di Santo, Rodallega
Wigan Athletic manager Roberto Martinez will have to make do without Antolin Alcaraz, as the Paraguayan is serving a suspension for the spitting incident that took place during the game against Wolverhampton Wanderers.
Chris Kirkland (back) is also out of action, while Callum McManaman will remain unavailable since he is out on loan with Blackpool.
||DID YOU KNOW|
- Sunderland have a disastrous record at the Stadium of Light in recent times, winning only two of their last 14 matches there.
- The Black Cats' form has also been dull in recent weeks, as they have managed to win only one of their last seven games in the league.
- If all matches ended at half-time, the home side would have been in the relegation zone at this point in the season, whereas the Latics would have found themselves in 15th place.
- Wigan Athletic have managed to score only 10 goals in the league this season. No team has scored fewer.
- The visitors have been in worse form than their opponents, losing nine of their last 10 games in all competitions. But the one game that they did not lose was their last one against Blackburn Rovers, which finished in a 3-3 draw.
- The two sides have locked horns 17 times in the course of their respective histories. Wigan have won six, while the Black Cats have triumphed on four occasions. The rest of the games ended in a draw.
How do you stay up to date with football when on the move? With http://m.goal.com – your best source for mobile coverage of the beautiful game.
|William Hill: £25 in free bets|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Sunderland 2-0 Wigan Athletic
- 23.18 %
Sunderland 2-1 Wigan Athletic
- 17.88 %
Sunderland 1-0 Wigan Athletic
- 13.91 %
|Premier League (EPL)||19 Jan 2013||Wigan Athletic 2 - Sunderland 3|
|Premier League (EPL)||29 Sep 2012||Sunderland 1 - Wigan Athletic 0|
|Premier League (EPL)||3 Jan 2012||Wigan Athletic 1 - Sunderland 4|
|Premier League (EPL)||26 Nov 2011||Sunderland 1 - Wigan Athletic 2|
|Premier League (EPL)||23 Apr 2011||Sunderland 4 - Wigan Athletic 2|
|9 Mar 2014||Hull City 3 - Sunderland 0||FA|
|2 Mar 2014||Manchester City 3 - Sunderland 1||CCUP|
|22 Feb 2014||Arsenal FC 4 - Sunderland 1||EPL|
|15 Feb 2014||Sunderland 1 - Southampton 0||FA|
|8 Feb 2014||Sunderland 0 - Hull City 2||EPL|
|27||Ahmed El Mohamady||Midfielder|
|26||Ali Al Habsi||Goalkeeper|
|9||Franco Di Santo||Striker|
Stretching from last season, the Black Cats have conceded 18 goals in their last 10 home games. So it will be up to the lone forward, Nicklas Bendtner, to take the initiative and put one or more in the back of the net.
Hugo Rodallega is yet to open his goalscoring account in the Premier League this season, which has contributed, in part, towards the Latics' downfall. The team really needs to get back up the ladder before it becomes too late, and the Colombian would undoubtedly want to do some damage at the Stadium of Light.
Both sides have been in shady form in recent weeks, and both appear to be poised to cancel each other out at the Stadium of Light.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed