Arsenal - Stoke City Preview: Tony Pulis' men looking to improve on poor record at the Emirates
The Potters are hoping to add to their encouraging start to the season but will come up against a Gunners outfit aiming for their sixth win in seven games
By Edward Tibbles
Jenkinson, Koscielny, Mertesacker, Santos
Song, Arteta, Ramsey
Walcott, Van Persie, Gervinho
Huth, Woodgate, Shawcross, Higgingbotham
Pennant, Delap, Whelan, Etherington
A thigh strain to Andy Wilkinson will probably keep him out of the clash at the Emirates, but Tony Pulis has enough strength at the back to cope with the absence. Wilson Palacios is also due a return from injury, but it is doubtful he will be risked this weekend unless he comes off of the bench late on. Danny Higgingbotham could make his first start since April.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Arsenal’s total of 12 goals this season is twice the amount of opponents Stoke.
- Stoke have only conceded eight goals so far this season, less than half of the amount let in by Arsenal. Only Manchester United, Manchester City and Newcastle have let in less.
- Stoke have only managed one goal in their last three visits to the Emirates, and that was a Ricardo Fuller penalty.
- Van Persie has scored 23 times in the 25 games he has played in during 2011.
- Stoke have never drawn a Premier League game on their travels to London, winning three times and losing 12 games.
- Stoke have the highest percentage of goals from set pieces in the league with 67 per cent, yet Arsenal have a lowly 8 per cent.
- Arsenal have never failed to score against Stoke in the Premier League since the Potters were promoted in 2008.
- Arsenal have won five out of their last six games in all competitions.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
Top 3 Predictions
Arsenal FC 2-0 Stoke City
- 23.29 %
Arsenal FC 3-1 Stoke City
- 19.46 %
Arsenal FC 2-1 Stoke City
- 17.49 %
|Premier League (EPL)||2 Feb 2013||Arsenal FC 1 - Stoke City 0|
|Premier League (EPL)||26 Aug 2012||Stoke City 0 - Arsenal FC 0|
|Premier League (EPL)||28 Apr 2012||Stoke City 1 - Arsenal FC 1|
|Premier League (EPL)||23 Oct 2011||Arsenal FC 3 - Stoke City 1|
|Premier League (EPL)||8 May 2011||Stoke City 3 - Arsenal FC 1|
|19 May 2013||Newcastle United 0 - Arsenal FC 1||EPL|
|14 May 2013||Arsenal FC 4 - Wigan Athletic 1||EPL|
|4 May 2013||QPR 0 - Arsenal FC 1||EPL|
|28 Apr 2013||Arsenal FC 1 - Manchester United 1||EPL|
|20 Apr 2013||Fulham 0 - Arsenal FC 1||EPL|
|Returns:||Arsenal £16.20||Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Returns:||Draw £610.00||Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Returns:||Stoke City £810.00||Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
|20||Robin van Persie||Striker|
|Robin van Persie|
The Potters’ keeper has shown his class between the sticks over recent seasons and so far in this campaign he has not disappointed, claiming four clean sheets in the opening eight games.
He looks to be relishing the quality defence Pulis has erected in front of him, with the likes of Shawcross, Woodgate, Huth and Upson all helping the Bosnian to maintain his top-class record.
I think a whole hearted performance from Pulis’ men will be undone late in the game, by a single strike from a player like Van Persie. Wenger’s side have found a somewhat uncharacteristic resilience since their defeat at the hands of Blackburn and I think they will carry this through into Sunday's clash.
Although Stoke have managed to hold Manchester United, Liverpool and Chelsea this season, all three games were played at the fortress which is the Britannia Stadium, linked with the fact they are still yet to record a win on the road this season, the Emirates could be a difficult trip for the Potters.