Tottenham - Liverpool Preview: Spurs target first home win of the season as visitors aim to bounce back from Stoke defeat
Harry Redknapp aims to repeat last season's double over the Merseyside club, who suffered their first loss of the season at the Britannia Stadium last Saturday
By Jamie Dunn
Walker, Kaboul, King, Assou-Ekotto
Kranjcar, Parker, Modric, Bale
Flanagan, Carragher, Agger, Jose Enrique
Henderson, Lucas, Adam, Downing
Rafael van der Vaart could be available for selection for Tottenham, despite suffering a hamstring injury against Manchester City that was initially expected to keep the midfielder out for six weeks.
Ledley King could play a second consecutive Premier League game but will be assessed after a training session on Saturday.
Having both players fit would be a welcome boost for Harry Redknapp, who is still without Aaron Lennon, Tom Huddlestone, Sandro, Danny Rose and Steven Pienaar.
Liverpool are without Glen Johnson, who suffered a recurrence of a hamstring problem in the defeat to Stoke City. Martin Kelly has resumed training, while youngster Jon Flanagan is back in contention.
Steven Gerrard is close to full fitness, but may be eased back into action in the League Cup in midweek.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Full-back Kyle Walker (pictured below) was the only player to start both the victory over Wolves and the 0-0 Europa League draw with PAOK on Thursday.
- Redknapp is likely to make as many as ten changes to the side that drew in Greece as he reverts back to a starting XI similar to the one that secured the win - and Spurs' first points of the season - at Molineux.
- Tottenham have been 2-1 victors in each of the last two meetings at White Hart Lane between the two sides.
- Spurs won the corresponding fixture in November last season, before going on to secure a double over Liverpool with a 2-0 win at Anfield in May, all-but securing Europa League football in the process.
- There have been at least two goals in each of the last nine fixtures between the two clubs in all competitions.
- Liverpool have won 70 of the 153 clashes between the sides, compared to Tottenham's 45. There have been 38 draws.
- The Reds' defeat at Stoke on Saturday was the first game this season in which they haven't scored.
- Kenny Dalglish's side have conceded just three goals in four Premier League games so far this season, while Spurs have shipped eight in three.
|William Hill: £25 in free bets|
|Sign up with bet365 for a 100% deposit bonus up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Tottenham 1-2 Liverpool
- 17.31 %
Tottenham 0-9 Liverpool
- 17.24 %
Tottenham 0-2 Liverpool
- 13.5 %
|Premier League (EPL)||30 Mar 2014||Liverpool 4 - Tottenham 0|
|Premier League (EPL)||15 Dec 2013||Tottenham 0 - Liverpool 5|
|Premier League (EPL)||10 Mar 2013||Liverpool 3 - Tottenham 2|
|Premier League (EPL)||28 Nov 2012||Tottenham 2 - Liverpool 1|
|Club Friendlies (FRC)||28 Jul 2012||Liverpool 0 - Tottenham 0|
|12 Apr 2014||West Bromwich Albion 3 - Tottenham 3||EPL|
|7 Apr 2014||Tottenham 5 - Sunderland 1||EPL|
|30 Mar 2014||Liverpool 4 - Tottenham 0||EPL|
|23 Mar 2014||Tottenham 3 - Southampton 2||EPL|
|20 Mar 2014||Benfica 2 - Tottenham 2||EL|
|23||Rafael van der Vaart||Midfielder|
|17||Giovani dos Santos||Striker|
The Togolese striker, who scored on his debut against Wolves last Saturday, is making his home debut at White Hart Lane. Having scored at White Hart Lane for Arsenal, the pressure is on the former Gunner to net in a white shirt at home for the first time.
Harry Redknapp missed out on signing the Uruguayan last summer and since arriving at Anfield in January, the striker has taken the Premier League by storm with a string of scintillating performances. Now, playing at White Hart Lane for the first time, the Reds frontman has the chance to show Spurs fans what they've missed out on up close.
Tottenham have enjoyed good fortune against Liverpool at home in recent seasons, but under Kenny Dalglish the Reds are a different proposition. Despite losing to Stoke, the visitors were rampant at the Britannia Stadium and a repeat performance could secure a win, but the hosts possess enough quality after the transfer window to pick up a point at home.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed