Tottenham - Manchester City Preview: Harry Redknapp's men looking for first Premier League victory this season against title hopefuls
Spurs are targeting their first points of the new campaign but will be without new signing Emmanuel Adebayor, while Samir Nasri could make his debut appearance for the visitors
By Adithya Ananth
Walker, Dawson, Kaboul, Assou-Ekotto
Lennon, Huddlestone, Modric, Bale
Van der Vaart
Richards, Kompany, Lescott, Clichy
Silva, Yaya Toure, Aguero
Tottenham Hotspur boss Harry Redknapp chose not to include influential midfielder Luka Modric in his squad to face Manchester United at Old Trafford due to speculation concering his future, but the Croatian should return to the starting line-up for this encounter.
Emmanuel Adebayor is unavailable for this fixture as it is against his parent club, while youngster Yago Falque - who arrived on loan from Juventus - is unlikely to be handed a start right away.
William Gallas and Ledley King are both recovering from calf and knee injuries respectively, and are expected to be sidelined for this clash.
Roberto Mancini may hand new signing Samir Nasri a start, but could also opt to stick with James Milner after the former Aston Villa man put in a strong performance in the 3-2 victory over Bolton Wanderers.
Nigel de Jong is out due to a foot injury sustained against Swansea City in the club's first league game of the season. Otherwise, the Italian boss has no injury worries.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- It is still early days, but Tottenham Hotspur find themselves at the bottom of the table, albeit having played a game less than every other club in the Premier League with the exception of Everton.
- Harry Redknapp's men will be hopeful of a result as they are unbeaten at White Hart Lane in their last 17 league games.
- Spurs have triumphed on 31 occasions when City have come visiting for a league clash. The visitors have won 14 times, while 17 other matches have ended in a draw.
- Manchester City have won only one of their last six games against Tottenham.
- In their last four matches, though, they have scored only one goal against Spurs. Even that was an own goal from Peter Crouch last season, which saw them qualify for the Champions League for the first time in their history.
- Ironically, it was Crouch who scored against City to help the north London club make their way into Europe's elite competition in the previous season.
|William Hill: £25 in free bets|
|Sign up with bet365 for a 100% deposit bonus up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Tottenham 0-2 Manchester City
- 17.27 %
Tottenham 1-3 Manchester City
- 15.13 %
Tottenham 1-2 Manchester City
- 14.9 %
|Premier League (EPL)||29 Jan 2014||Tottenham 1 - Manchester City 5|
|Premier League (EPL)||24 Nov 2013||Manchester City 6 - Tottenham 0|
|Premier League (EPL)||21 Apr 2013||Tottenham 3 - Manchester City 1|
|Premier League (EPL)||11 Nov 2012||Manchester City 2 - Tottenham 1|
|Premier League (EPL)||22 Jan 2012||Manchester City 3 - Tottenham 2|
|19 Apr 2014||Tottenham 3 - Fulham 1||EPL|
|12 Apr 2014||West Bromwich Albion 3 - Tottenham 3||EPL|
|7 Apr 2014||Tottenham 5 - Sunderland 1||EPL|
|30 Mar 2014||Liverpool 4 - Tottenham 0||EPL|
|23 Mar 2014||Tottenham 3 - Southampton 2||EPL|
|23||Rafael van der Vaart||Midfielder|
Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp has expressed high hopes for Jermain Defoe this season, and the forward will want to return his manager's faith with a goal, or perhaps more, in a game of this magnitude.
Edin Dzeko scored against Swansea City and Bolton Wanderers, and will be looking to carve out a place for himself in the starting line-up so he can hold his own when Carlos Tevez regains match fitness.
Just two days before this game, Harry Redknapp still did not know if he would be able to call on his playmaker and key man Luka Modric. Without him, it is hard to see Spurs being able to match City's power and technique in midfield.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed