Newcastle United - Arsenal Preview: Cesc Fabregas & Samir Nasri out as Gunners look for revenge after 4-4 embarrassment last season
Premier League curtain raiser sees a repeat of one of the most exciting clashes of last season, when the hosts clawed back from four goals down to earn a sensational draw
By Adithya Ananth
Simpson, Coloccini, S Taylor, R Taylor
Gutierrez, Barton, Cabaye, Tiote
Sagna, Djourou, Vermaelen, Gibbs
Song, Ramsey, Rosicky
Steve Harper and James Perch are sidelined with injuries, while Danny Guthrie remains a doubt for this game. Hatem Ben Arfa sustained an ankle injury on the same foot he broke last season, and there appear to be doubts concerning his fitness as well. Joey Barton has been training with the reserves after being placed on the transfer list, and all eyes will be on him if he is picked to start by Alan Pardew.
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has confirmed that Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri will not travel with the squad amid reports that they are both primed to leave the club over the course of the weekend. Robin van Persie will undergo a fitness test while Jack Wilshere and Abou Diaby are out through injury but Thomas Vermaelen and Theo Walcott are fit to play.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Arsenal have gone without winning any silverware for six consecutive seasons, with their last triumph being the FA Cup in 2005.
- The Gunners have beaten these opponents only three times in the last nine Premier League meetings, with the Tyneside outfit winning twice as the other four ending as draws.
- Historically it is the home side that have the upper hand at St James' Park, as they have won 40 of the 77 league games against Arsenal.
- Last season, Newcastle rewrote history books by mounting a mammoth comeback after going four-goals down at half-time, to eventually take a point off their opponents with a late Chiek Tiote (pictured right) strike sealing a point.
- Robin van Persie scored 18 league goals to put himself as one of the highest goalscorers in the Premier League last season. No other Arsenal player made it into the top 20.
- As for the Toon, Andy Carroll left for Liverpool in the winter while Kevin Nolan's 12 goals put him in the top 20. He was sold to West Ham United during the summer.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
|Sign up with Betway for a £50 free bet!|
Top 3 Predictions
Newcastle United 1-3 Arsenal FC
- 18.85 %
Newcastle United 1-2 Arsenal FC
- 15.72 %
Newcastle United 0-2 Arsenal FC
- 15 %
|Premier League (EPL)||19 May 2013||Newcastle United 0 - Arsenal FC 1|
|Premier League (EPL)||29 Dec 2012||Arsenal FC 7 - Newcastle United 3|
|Premier League (EPL)||12 Mar 2012||Arsenal FC 2 - Newcastle United 1|
|Premier League (EPL)||13 Aug 2011||Newcastle United 0 - Arsenal FC 0|
|Premier League (EPL)||5 Feb 2011||Newcastle United 4 - Arsenal FC 4|
|14 Dec 2013||Newcastle United 1 - Southampton 1||EPL|
|7 Dec 2013||Manchester United 0 - Newcastle United 1||EPL|
|4 Dec 2013||Swansea City 3 - Newcastle United 0||EPL|
|30 Nov 2013||Newcastle United 2 - West Bromwich Albion 1||EPL|
|23 Nov 2013||Newcastle United 2 - Norwich City 1||EPL|
|20||Robin van Persie||Striker|
The forward will have to step up this season after the club lost Kevin Nolan over the summer, and he will be expected to chip in with goals and to complement Demba Ba up front.
The Belgian will want to ensure that his side do not suffer from the defensive lapses of last season and will be looking to put in a solid display amid reports that Wenger is targeting two new centre-backs.
Newcastle United have lost a fair amount of quality over the summer, while Arsenal will be without Fabregas and Nasri. With both teams devoid of the players who make the difference, a draw could be on the cards.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed