Real Madrid - Getafe Preview: Hosts welcome Carvalho and Di Maria back as they look to build on thrashing of Sevilla
Jose Mourinho’s men were in spectacular form at the weekend, and they will be aiming for a repeat performance against their city rivals in La Liga on Tuesday night
By Robin Bairner
|Real Madrid (4-2-3-1): Casillas; Ramos, Pepe, Carvalho, Marcelo; Diarra, Alonso; Ronaldo, Ozil, Di Maria; Higuain.
Injury problems are thin on the ground, though Sami Khedira and Fernando Gago are still out.
|Getafe (4-2-3-1): Ustari; M. Torres, Diaz, Marcano, Mane; V. Sanchez, Casquero; Pedro Rios, Parejo, Adri; Miku.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Real Madrid’s record at home this season was perfect until they were beaten by Sporting Gijon on April 2. Since then, they have failed to pick up a victory in three subsequent attempts at home.
- Despite stuttering at home, Jose Mourinho’s men have been brilliant on their travels, scoring 12 goals in their last two matches, which were against European-chasing Sevilla and Valencia.
- Real have won all of their last five away matches in La Liga.
- Known for their superb defensive record at the start of the season, Real Madrid have only kept one clean sheet in their last seven attempts in the league.
- Cristiano Ronaldo’s quartet of goals at the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan have taken him to 46 goals this season, and the magical 50 is not yet out of sight.
- Getafe languish 16th in La Liga, boasting only one point more than the team at the top of the drop zone.
- The recent form of the Madrid-based side is poor, with only three wins in 19 league matches.
- When Getafe last won away from home, they completed a four-game winning streak by defeating Almeria 3-2 in the final round of matches before Christmas.
- Almeria were also Getafe’s victims as they won 2-0 at the weekend.
- On 13 occasions, the Coliseum Alfonso Perez side have led at the break, but they have only managed to turn in seven wins from those encounters.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
|Sign up with Betway for a £50 free bet!|
Top 3 Predictions
Real Madrid 3-0 Getafe
- 11.51 %
Real Madrid 4-0 Getafe
- 11.4 %
Real Madrid 5-1 Getafe
- 9.44 %
|La Liga (LIGA)||22 Sep 2013||Real Madrid 4 - Getafe 1|
|La Liga (LIGA)||27 Jan 2013||Real Madrid 4 - Getafe 0|
|La Liga (LIGA)||26 Aug 2012||Getafe 2 - Real Madrid 1|
|La Liga (LIGA)||4 Feb 2012||Getafe 0 - Real Madrid 1|
|La Liga (LIGA)||10 Sep 2011||Real Madrid 4 - Getafe 2|
|30 Nov 2013||Real Madrid 4 - Valladolid 0||LIGA|
|27 Nov 2013||Real Madrid 4 - Galatasaray 1||UCL|
|23 Nov 2013||UD Almería 0 - Real Madrid 5||LIGA|
|9 Nov 2013||Real Madrid 5 - Real Sociedad 1||LIGA|
|5 Nov 2013||Juventus 2 - Real Madrid 2||UCL|
|22||Ángel Di María||Midfielder|
The league title may be all but gone, but Cristiano Ronaldo is rapidly chasing the Pichichi crown, which is a race he now leads thanks to a superb showing against Sevilla on Saturday evening. The Portuguese star grabbed four goals and might even have scored more. Expect him to show a desire to continue such sizzling play.
When Getafe have played well offensively this season, Pedro Rios has typically had a strong game. The 29-year-old, who spent much of last season in the shadow of Pedro Leon – a flop at the Bernabeu – found the net against Almeria at the weekend, taking his tally to eight goals for the season. Matches such as Tuesday’s provide the former Xerez man with a valuable chance to shine.
After such a tour de force at the weekend, Real Madrid will not hand the title to Barcelona by slipping up on Tuesday evening. Though their home form has been relatively poor in recent times, Real should be able to score a resounding victory against their city-rivals.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed