West Brom - Liverpool Preview: Reds out to prolong unbeaten record against the Baggies in the Premier League era
The home side have the dubious distinction of conceding in 28 consecutive games in the top flight and are on the brink of equalling another record if they draw this match
By Adithya Ananth
|West Bromwich Albion: Carson; Reid, Meite, Olsson, Shorey; Scharner, Mulumbu; Brunt, Morrison, Thomas; Odemwingie.|
|Liverpool: Reina; Johnson, Carragher, Skrtel, Agger; Lucas, Spearing; Kuyt, Meireles, Suarez; Carroll.|
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- West Bromwich Albion have won only 33 per cent of their Premier League games at home this season. Their opponents on Saturday, however, have not been particularly impressive on the road, winning only 27% of their matches on their travels.
- The Baggies have conceded 56 goals this campaign, which is among the poorest defensive showings in the league. Only Blackpool (60) have shipped in more.
- The last four league games at the Hawthorns have been draws. If the hosts end up drawing this game they will equal the Premier League record for the highest number of consecutive draws at home.
- Roy Hodgson’s men have set an infamous record of conceding in 28 consecutive league games. The last time that they did not let one in was back in August last year, in a 1-0 victory over Sunderland. But back then it was Roberto Di Matteo who was at the helm. In essence, the Baggies have shipped in at least one goal in every league match under Hodgson.
- The west Midlands club have won only two of their last 15 games in all competitions, but remain undefeated in their last five matches.
- Since 1972, Liverpool have lost only once to the Baggies in top-flight football. This came in 1981 in a 2-0 defeat.
- But since the inception of the Premier League, the Reds have beaten the home side in every single encounter without conceding a single goal.
- The Merseyside outfit have lost only once in their last nine league games, beating Chelsea and Manchester United during this time.
- Kenny Dalglish's men have also managed to keep three clean sheets in their last four trips away from home.
- Liverpool have scored eight times and let five in, in their last five games.
August 29, 2010: Liverpool 1-0 West Brom
Fernando Torres scored his first goal of the season by volleying home to give Liverpool an underwhelming home win.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
|Sign up with Betway for a £50 free bet!|
Top 3 Predictions
West Bromwich Albion 0-9 Liverpool
- 42.08 %
West Bromwich Albion 0-3 Liverpool
- 16 %
West Bromwich Albion 0-2 Liverpool
- 14.59 %
|Premier League (EPL)||26 Oct 2013||Liverpool 4 - West Bromwich Albion 1|
|Premier League (EPL)||11 Feb 2013||Liverpool 0 - West Bromwich Albion 2|
|Capital One Cup (CCUP)||26 Sep 2012||West Bromwich Albion 1 - Liverpool 2|
|Premier League (EPL)||18 Aug 2012||West Bromwich Albion 3 - Liverpool 0|
|Premier League (EPL)||22 Apr 2012||Liverpool 0 - West Bromwich Albion 1|
|West Bromwich Albion|
|7 Dec 2013||West Bromwich Albion 0 - Norwich City 2||EPL|
|4 Dec 2013||West Bromwich Albion 2 - Manchester City 3||EPL|
|30 Nov 2013||Newcastle United 2 - West Bromwich Albion 1||EPL|
|25 Nov 2013||West Bromwich Albion 2 - Aston Villa 2||EPL|
|9 Nov 2013||Chelsea FC 2 - West Bromwich Albion 2||EPL|
The Nigerian has made a monumental start to his Premier League careeer, scoring 10 goals in 25 league games for his side. And having scored in the recent game against Arsenal, he will likely be looking to hit the back of the net against the opponents.
The club-record signing scored his first international goal by hitting the back of the net against Ghana in only his second appearance for the national team. A first Liverpool goal would cap off a remarkable week for £35 million forward.
History is with the Reds, and they have been performing positively since Kenny Dalglish took the helm. With the home side having trouble keeping a clean sheet, the game should likely be settled with two goals for the Merseyside outfit.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed