thumbnail Hello,

Premier League

  • 26 September 2010
  • • 16:10
  • • St. James' Park, Newcastle upon Tyne
  • Referee: M. Jones
  • • Attendance: 41915

Newcastle United 1-2 Stoke City: Kenwyne Jones header and James Perch own goal seals second half fight-back

Newcastle United 1-2 Stoke City: Kenwyne Jones header and James Perch own goal seals second half fight-back

Pulis' side return to Britannia stadium as happy Potters...

By Richard Parry

Stoke City came from behind to secure all three points in a competitive contest at St James Park, after Kevin Nolan had put Newcastle United ahead from the penalty spot five minutes before the interval.

As expected, it was the home side, Newcastle who looked to get the stronghold in the match, with summer signing Hatem Ben Arfa, acquired on loan from Marseille, who offered Chris Hughton’s side the first inroad into the game, but Danny Collins was on hand to head clear.

And attacking from the flanks seemed to be the Magpies preferred method of choice, but against the towering Stoke defence, Newcastle could only look to Andy Carroll, who was being closely marked by Ryan Shawcross.

Stoke saw limited periods of possession in the first half, as Newcastle defended well and restricted the effectiveness of Matthew Etherington on the flanks.

And the first threatening effort of the match arose ten minutes before half-time, as Ben Arfa fired a fierce shot at goal from all of 30-yards, which looked for all the while on target until it drifted wide on the Tyne wind.

But the home side were given their chance from the spot five minutes before the interval, after Robert Huth hauled down Carroll in the box and handed captain Kevin Nolan the opportunity from the spot. The former Bolton man kept his cool, sending Thomas Sorenson the wrong way, giving Newcastle the lead at the break.

Having spent so much time without the ball in the first-half, Stoke looked to take the front foot, enjoyed a neat period of possession in the opening five minutes after the restart.

Nonetheless, it wasn’t long before Newcastle settled and regrouped, with Joey Barton looking to find the pacey Wayne Routledge on the flank at any given opportunity. And the home side’s return to their first-half performance saw Potters boss Tony Pulis make an early change, replacing midfield veteran Salif Diao with striker Ricardo Fuller.

But Stoke spurned their best opportunity minutes later, when Shawcross directed his header wide of goal. And it wasn’t long until Pulis reshuffled his pack once again, replacing Glenn Whelan with Rory Delap.

Stoke were certainly in the ascendency, and it was former Sunderland striker Kenwyne Jones who almost put the Potters level, as his downward header cannoned off of the post to the feet of Fuller, but admist a crowd of defenders the substitute was unable to direct his shot on target.

And the Trinidad and Tobago striker went even closer minutes later, as the towering forward got himself on the end of another telling delivery from Matthew Etherington.

Worryingly for Pulis, Fuller, who had only been on the pitch for a matter of minutes, had to be replaced with a suspected dislocated shoulder, after a coming together with Jonas Gutierrez saw the striker land awkwardly on his arm, and he was swiftly replaced by Eidur Gudjohnsen.

Stoke finally grabbed their goal in the 67th minute, and fittingly it was Jones who scored it. Again, Newcastle looked vulnerable coming under fire from Stoke’s pinpoint delivery, and after Huth had headed it back across goal for the former Sunderland man to power the header home.

Having bagged a brace in Wednesday night’s 4-3 victory over Chelsea, Hughton turned to Shola Ameobi to lead the line alongside Carroll, and the towering forward replaced Cheik Tiote.

But it would be another Newcastle player who would break the deadlock, and unfortunately for the Magpies, it was James Perch, who connected powerfully with an Etherington header to score past his own goalkeeper, Tim Krul.

Nolan had the chance to save a point for his side, but his side-footed effort slid wide of the post, and despite a late onslaught, and six minutes of added time the home side were unable to bag the winner, as Stoke ran out winners at St James Park.

Follow the Premier League LIVE on
Commentaries, Stats, Player Ratings and much more,
Visit Live Scores!