Lazio - Fenerbahce Preview: Biancocelesti have mountain to climb
The Istanbul club were convincing 2-0 winners in the first leg of this quarter-final tie meaning Vladimir Petkovic's side will have to produce a quality comeback to progress
By Alec Fenn
Gonazalez, Biava, Cana, Radu
Candreva, Mauri, Hernanes, Lulic
Gonul, Yobo, Korkmaz, Ziegler
Kuyt, Topal, Meireles, Topuz
Goals from Pierre Webo and Dirk Kuyt last Thursday mean Fenerbahce are firmly in the driving seat ahead of the second-leg of this Europa League quarter-final.
Lazio will need all of the cutting edge they can muster in their quest to produce a comeback and progress to the semi-finals of the competition.
Their cause was dented somewhat in the first leg by the sending off of midfielder Ogenyi Onazi, meaning the Biancocelesti will be without his services at the Stadio Olimpico.
The game will also be played behind doors as part of Lazio's punishment for repeated episodes of racist behaviour from supporters - the latest incident coming in February's last-32 clash with Borussia Monchengladbach.
Fenerbahce will be without the injured Emre and Moussa Sow, while defender Bekir Irtegun is suspended.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Lazio have won six, drawn one and lost two of their clashes with Turkish opposition.
- The Biancocelesti last reached the quarter-finals of a Uefa competition back in 2002-2003 when they beat Besiktas in the last eight of the Uefa Cup.
- Lazio striker Libor Kozak is the top goalscorer in this season's Europa League, with eight goals in nine appearances.
- Fenerbahce are unbeaten in five Europa League away games and have not conceded in their last four matches on the road in Europe.
- Fener have now reached the quarter-finals of all three major Uefa club competitions - Champions League (2007/2008), European Cup Winners' Cup (1963/1964) and this season's Europa League.
- Only two clubs have overturned a 2-0 first-leg deficit in the knock-out phase of the Europa League.
|William Hill: £25 in free bets|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Lazio 1-1 Fenerbahçe
- 15.77 %
Lazio 3-0 Fenerbahçe
- 13.18 %
Lazio 1-2 Fenerbahçe
- 12.96 %
|Europa League (EL)||11 Apr 2013||Lazio 1 - Fenerbahçe 1|
|Europa League (EL)||4 Apr 2013||Fenerbahçe 2 - Lazio 0|
|9 Mar 2014||Lazio 0 - Atalanta 1||SR-A|
|2 Mar 2014||Fiorentina 0 - Lazio 1||SR-A|
|27 Feb 2014||PFC Ludogorets Razgrad 3 - Lazio 3||EL|
|23 Feb 2014||Lazio 3 - Sassuolo 2||SR-A|
|20 Feb 2014||Lazio 0 - PFC Ludogorets Razgrad 1||EL|
|9||Pierre Achille Webo||Striker|
|23||Fehmi Mert Günok||Goalkeeper|
|3||Hasan Ali Kaldırım||Defender|
The Brazilian midfielder has been a prominent part of Laio's Europa League campaign, featuring in all 11 of his side's games and making 10 starts. His creative talents will be of paramount importance if the Biancocelesti are to complete a remarkable comeback.
The Netherlands international will shoulder a greater portion of the attacking burden with Moussa Sow absent through injury. But it is his work ethic that could be vital up and down the right - giving his side defensive cover and an attacking outlet.
Lazio need goals and at least two of them if they are to have any hope of reaching the semi-finals, but given Fenerbahce's impressive away record of late, expect them to have enough to hold firm in Italy.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed