Stoke City - Manchester City Preview: Visitors looking to continue unbeaten run in 2013
The last five meetings between these sides at the Britannia Stadium have ended 1-1 after 90 minutes but both sides will be out for a win as they clash in the FA Cup fourth round
By Shane Farrington
Whitehead, Huth, Shawcross, Cameron
Whelan, Adam, Nzonzi, Etherington
Zabaleta, Kompany, Lescott, Kolarov
Nasri, Aguero, Silva
Stoke City boss Tony Pulis could make a couple of changes from the side which lost to Swansea, with Thomas Sorensen likely to be given a chance to impress in goal.
Cameron Jerome and Kenwyne Jones are both pushing for starts but Jonathan Walters and Peter Crouch are likely to retain their starting berths - with the latter usually impressing against City.
Rory Delap (hernia) and Marc Wilson (broken leg) both remain sidelined.
As for the visitors, Roberto Mancini is also likely to change his goalkeeper, with Costel Pantilimon set to replace Joe Hart between the sticks.
Joleon Lescott and Aleksandar Kolarov could also be handed rare starts whilst Samir Nasri and Jack Rodwell remain in contention.
Further forward, Sergio Aguero is likely to get an opportunity to boost his fitness levels, possibly in place of fellow Argentine Carlos Tevez, while Mario Balotelli is again set to be on the bench.
Right-back duo Maicon and Micah Richards (knee injuries) are both still out.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Stoke reached the fourth round after overcoming Championship side Crystal Palace 4-1 in extra time of their replay tie.
- Jonathan Walters (pictured right) is currently the Potters' top scorer, having found the back of the net eight times so far this season.
- Manchester City have won all four of their matches in 2013 without conceding a single goal - beating Stoke, Arsenal and Fulham in the Premier League and Watford in the FA Cup third round.
- The last five matches between these two teams at the Britannia Stadium have finished 1-1 after 90 minutes.
- These sides played out the 2011 FA Cup final at Wembley. Yaya Toure netted the only goal to win the trophy for Roberto Mancini’s side.
- Edin Dzeko is City's top scorer in all competitions, having netted 11 times.
Dzeko is 7/5 with Bet365 to score anytime in this match.
- The visitors have won the FA Cup five times - in 1904, 1934, 1956, 1969, and 2011.
|William Hill: £25 in free bets|
|Sign up with bet365 for a 100% deposit bonus up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Stoke City 1-3 Manchester City
- 14.71 %
Stoke City 0-3 Manchester City
- 10.66 %
Stoke City 0-2 Manchester City
- 10.5 %
|Premier League (EPL)||22 Feb 2014||Manchester City 1 - Stoke City 0|
|Premier League (EPL)||14 Sep 2013||Stoke City 0 - Manchester City 0|
|FA Cup (FA)||26 Jan 2013||Stoke City 0 - Manchester City 1|
|Premier League (EPL)||1 Jan 2013||Manchester City 3 - Stoke City 0|
|Premier League (EPL)||15 Sep 2012||Stoke City 1 - Manchester City 1|
|19 Apr 2014||Cardiff City 1 - Stoke City 1||EPL|
|12 Apr 2014||Stoke City 1 - Newcastle United 0||EPL|
|5 Apr 2014||Chelsea FC 3 - Stoke City 0||EPL|
|29 Mar 2014||Stoke City 1 - Hull City 0||EPL|
|23 Mar 2014||Aston Villa 1 - Stoke City 4||EPL|
The lanky striker has struck up a habit of playing well against the reigning Premier League champions and almost ended their title dreams last season with a stunning volley at the Britannia Stadium. Although he has not been in the best of form of late, his manager will be hoping for a repeat of his past showings against City.
The 27-year-old has struggled to replicate his best form at times this season but was fantastic against Fulham last time out as he scored twice. The Potters are notoriously difficult to break down at home and the Spaniard will be key if City are to succeed.
The hosts head into the game struggling for form over recent weeks. while their opponents have continued to grind out wins despite not being at their best. Matches between the two at the Britannia Stadium are usually tight and this could well end in a score draw.
Times In GMT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed