Lazio-Juventus Preview: Conte seeks goals in bid to overturn the Biancocelesti's slender advantage
The Bianconeri must score in the Stadio Olimpico if they are to stand any chance of progressing to their 15th Coppa Italia final after a 1-1 first-leg draw
By Max Bentley
Cavanda, Biava, Ciani, Radu
Candreva, Ledesma, Cana, Hernanes, Mauri
Caceres, Barzagli, Bonucci
Lichtsteiner, Vidal, Pogba, Giaccherini
Stefano Mauri's late equaliser at the Juventus Stadium gave Lazio a vital away goal ahead of the second leg of the Coppa Italia semi-final.
Aware that they must score, Juventus will most likely start with two strikers. Fabio Quagliarella could retain his starting berth up front after scoring in the 1-1 draw with Genoa at the weekend, while Sebastian Giovinco is pushing for a start having been left on the bench in the previous match and he could replace Mirko Vucinic.
Andrea Pirlo should return to training later this week but the 33-year-old is ruled out of Tuesday's contest against the Biancocelesti. With Kwadwo Asamoah on international duty with Ghana at the Africa Cup of Nations, Arturo Vidal, Paul Pogba and Claudio Marchisio are expected to continue in central midfield. Emanuele Giaccherini could replace Paolo De Ceglie on the left wing.
Lazio's top goalscorer Miroslav Klose is still sidelined through a muscular injury, meaning that Sergio Floccari should continue up front, although Czech Republic forward Libor Kozak could start.
Lazio are likely to employ a four-man defence, with Luis Pedro Cavanda and Stefan Radu poised to start in the wing-back positions. Michael Ciani and Andre Dias are vying for the chance to partner Giuseppe Biava in central defence whilst Antonio Candreva is expected to return to the XI, having missed the first leg.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Lazio have failed to beat Juventus in their last nine meetings, losing six. Their last triumph over the Bianconeri came back in April 2009 when goals from Mauro Zarate and Aleksandar Kolarov gave the Biancocelesti a 2-1 Coppa Italia victory.
- Juventus are searching for a record tenth Coppa Italia title. Only Roma have lifted the trophy as many times as the Old Lady.
- Lazio have lifted the Coppa Italia on five occasions, most recently in 2009 under the stewardship of Delio Rossi.
- Antonio Conte has appeared in a Coppa Italia final on three occasions as a player, winning the trophy as part of the 1995 Juventus side.
- Lazio's 1-0 loss to Chievo on Saturday was their first defeat in 17 matches.
- Lazio faced Juventus in the 2004 Coppa Italia final where they secured a 4-2 aggregate win over two legs.
|William Hill: £25 in free bets|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Lazio 0-2 Juventus
- 19.67 %
Lazio 1-2 Juventus
- 17.4 %
Lazio 0-1 Juventus
- 8.85 %
|Serie A (SR-A)||25 Jan 2014||Lazio 1 - Juventus 1|
|Serie A (SR-A)||31 Aug 2013||Juventus 4 - Lazio 1|
|Italy Super Cup (ITSC)||18 Aug 2013||Juventus 4 - Lazio 0|
|Serie A (SR-A)||15 Apr 2013||Lazio 0 - Juventus 2|
|Italy - Coppa Italia (ITAC)||29 Jan 2013||Lazio 2 - Juventus 1|
|9 Mar 2014||Lazio 0 - Atalanta 1||SR-A|
|2 Mar 2014||Fiorentina 0 - Lazio 1||SR-A|
|27 Feb 2014||PFC Ludogorets Razgrad 3 - Lazio 3||EL|
|23 Feb 2014||Lazio 3 - Sassuolo 2||SR-A|
|20 Feb 2014||Lazio 0 - PFC Ludogorets Razgrad 1||EL|
|11||Paolo De Ceglie||Defender|