The bizarre saga of the 2013 Golden Boot winner is close to a conclusion, according to the MLS commissioner.PHILADELPHIA — It appears that the Camilo transfer saga is finally coming to an end.
"There's been a transfer that's going to happen," MLS commissioner Don Garber told reporters at the 2014 SuperDraft. "Ultimately I'm very disappointed. He had a contract."
The Vancouver Whitecaps star striker angered his team earlier this month when Liga MX side Queretaro announced the Brazilian as a new signing, despite Vancouver announcing it had picked up the player's option in November.
The 2013 Golden Boot winner and his agent disputed the language in the player's contract, insisting that the option was mutual and, by declining it, Camilo was a free agent who could sign with any team he wanted.
Vancouver insisted the player was under contract for 2014, releasing a statement Jan. 6:
"All through the process, the 'Caps have maintained that Camilo is under contract. This has since been acknowledged by Queretaro FC after MLS provided proof of contract and the Canadian Soccer Association (CSA) provided proof of registration this morning.
"Camilo’s international transfer certificate (ITC), otherwise known as his player passport, is registered with the CSA. A club cannot sign any player without the acquisition of his ITC."
Camilo has been in Mexico ever since, training with Queretaro.
"That contract in the world that we live in — whether it's here, whether it's around the world, whether it's under FIFA rules — needs to be honored," Garber said. "But we all deal with a world where players are not happy where they are and you have to manage through that."
It appears Vancouver will have to manage in 2014 without the league's top scorer in 2013. At the very least, the club will have some money to help replace the 25-year-old.
"Ultimately there was a good result — a high transfer fee, they'll get allocation money and Vancouver will rebuild their team and move on," Garber said.