The Brazilian has stressed he hopes to fight for the Scudetto and play in the Champions League after completing his 20 million euro move from Lazio last month
The Brazil midfielder left Lazio for San Siro on the final day of the January transfer window in a 20 million euro move, leading to furious supporter protests against Lazio president Claudio Lotito.
Hernanes, however, has stressed it was his decision to leave the club as he aims to fight for the Serie A title and play in the Champions League.
"I want to clarify that no one forced me to say anything," he told GoldTV. "I chose to go away and it was not a question of money. After a fantastic three-and-a-half years, where I was always treated with dignity by Lotito and [sporting director Igli] Tare, I realized that if I wanted to play in the Champions League or win the Scudetto, I had to try something new."
The motives for a move were performance-based, the player said, with the alllure of silverware enough to push through a move.
"With Lazio, me and my teammates were not able to reach certain goals. So, as soon as the opportunity came, I took it," he said. "I thought about, when Inter came in for me, and I made my decision. Again, after three-and-a-half years, I realized I would not have been able to achieve my dreams with Lazio.
"Inter made me an offer. This is a team that has a name, a higher outlook where maybe I can achieve my goals. It is not a question of money."
Hernanes joined Lazio from Sao Paulo in August 2010 and helped it win the Coppa Italia last season. The 28-year-old could make his debut for Inter against Sassuolo on Sunday.