thumbnail Hello,

A late Tom Heinemann goal secured the Vancouver Whitecaps a point Sunday evening at BC Place after the team went down to 2-0 in the first-half.

VANCOUVER, B.C. -- The Vancouver Whitecaps went down by two goals early but scrambled back to secure a 2-2 draw Sunday evening at BC Place.

Tom Heinemann scored in stoppage time and along with Gershon Koffie's 64th minute strike, that was enough to give Vancouver a point.

Heinemann's goal came as a result of a header across goal from Erik Hurtado, who had missed a glorious chance just moments previously. The rookie managed to keep his focus, however, and nodded Kekuta Manneh's header across goal for Heinemann to convert.

The goal marked the player's first since 2011 and his first as a member of the Whitecaps.

“It means a lot,” Heinemann said. “I'm excited to net my first one in front of the home fans. Just an incredible atmosphere to play in, and tonight [the fans] deserved more. But at least we got one [point].”

As for Koffie's goal, it came as a result of Chivas goalkeeper Dan Kennedy going for a wander, before hitting his clearance straight at the midfielder. Koffie took a touch before firing into the open goal as Kennedy unsuccessfully scurried back.

“The goalie cleared the ball,” Koffie said. “So I knew that he wasn't in the goal at that moment. So I hit it because I knew he wasn't in the goal.”

As for Chivas, they scored both goals through Erick Torres. He scored his first with a spectacular overhead kick just three minutes in before getting in between Andy O'Brien and Johnny Leveron to head home a Edgar Mejia cross on 14 minutes.

“We need to get closer,” David Ousted said of the second goal. “We're letting them cross the ball into a dangerous area and not marking up in there and that costs goals.”

As for that opener which put Vancouver under pressure, designated player Kenny Miller felt O'Brien's teammates didn't come in and provide enough support.

“It's a ball up to Andy, and Andy wins the header, and there's not a reaction from anybody to go and challenge it,” Kenny Miller said following the game. “To be completely honest it's a fantastic finish from the guy, but when that ball goes up in the air it must be up in the air for two, three seconds, but there's no one about them to challenge for that second's a horrendous start, but it's poor defending...Andy's went up and won the initial header.

“Someone should be close enough when that ball's in the air as long as it is, to be at least contesting the ball when it drops.”

With the draw, the Whitecaps now stand at 10-9-7, and return to league next Saturday when they face FC Dallas on the road.



From the web