The Cascadia Cup is headed toward a raucous climax with nearly 70,000 expected in Seattle when Portland comes to visit on Sunday.
|Seattle Sounders FC (4-4-2): Gspurning; Johansson, Parke, Hurtado, Gonzalez; Rosales, Alonso, Tiffert, Evans; Montero, Johnson.
OUT: FW Babayele Sodade (R knee ACL tear); DF Andrew Duran (L ACL surgery)
PROBABLE: DF Patrick Ianni (R adductor strain); MF Michael Seamon (back pain)
|Portland Timbers (4-2-3-1): Bendik; Kimura, Horst, Danso, Smith; Chara, Jewsbury; Songo'o, Nagbe, Wallace; Dike.
OUT: FW Kris Boyd (R adductor strain); DF Ian Hogg (R ankle sprain); DF Hanyer Mosquera (R hamstring strain); DF Chris Taylor (R hip surgery)
DOUBTFUL: MF Kalif Alhassan (L patellar tendinitis)
PROBABLE: MF Diego Chara (L adductor strain); GK Donovan Ricketts (L shoulder separation)
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- These teams have met 78 times in official competition. Seattle has won 40, Portland 28, with 10 draws. They're even in MLS play, each has won once and drawn twice.
- Vancouver Whitecaps games decided the playoff fates of both these teams. A draw against the 'Caps extended the Sounders' winless run to three last weekend, but the point was enough to punch a postseason ticket. Vancouver's midweek win over Chivas USA mathematically eliminated the Timbers from playoff contention.
- Over 67,000 fans are expected in CenturyLink Field, which should set a club record. If Portland secures a point it will claim the Cascadia Cup.
- Mauro Rosales is third in the league with 13 assists.
- MLS fined Timbers owner Merritt Paulson $25,000 for comments he made about and to referees after a match against D.C. United.