On the back of four straight losses, the Timbers welcome Sporting KC to Portland. SKC boasts a perfect win record this year.
|Portland Timbers (4-4-2): Perkins; Palmer, Mosquera, Brunner, Chabala; Alhassan, Jewsbury, Chara, Alexander; Nagbe, Boyd.
OUT: GK Joe Bendik (R knee meniscus surgery); FW Eddie Johnson (concussion)
DOUBTFUL: MF Kalif Alhassan (R knee sprain); DF Futty Danso (L foot fracture); GK Jake Gleeson (R knee IT band tightness); DF David Horst (R hip surgery); MF James Marcelin (L hamstring strain); DF Rodney Wallace (L ankle sprain)
|Sporting Kansas City (4-3-3): Nielsen; Myers, Collin, Besler, Sinovic; Nagamura, Zusi, Espinoza; Kamara, Sapong, Convey.
OUT: GK Eric Kronberg (lower back injury); MF Julio Cesar (R hamstring strain)
DOUBTFUL: DF Cyprian Hedrick (R Achilles tendinitis)
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Sporting Kansas City has won its first seven games of the 2012 season. The only team to start a year better was the 1996 LA Galaxy, who won eight games (or 12 if you count shootout victories as wins). SKC (21 points) is already six points clear of the next closest team (Real Salt Lake).
- Graham Zusi leads MLS with six assists this year. Kei Kamara leads the league in shots (36) and shots on goal (16). He is tied for fourth with four goals.
- Last year Sporting beat Portland twice, including a 2-1 win at JELD-WEN Field.
- The Timbers have lost a club-record four matches in a row and currently prop up the Western Conference. Only Toronto FC has less points.
- Sporting has conceded twice all year. Goalkeeper Jimmy Nielsen leads the league with five shutouts.