This is no end-of-season formality, as a key member of the Supporters' Shield winning side has a chance to make MLS history.
|Portland Timbers (4-2-3-1): Ricketts; Kimura, Mosquera, Horst, Smith; Jewsbury, Chara; Zizzo, Nagbe, Songo'o; Mwanga.
OUT: DF Eric Brunner (R ankle surgery); DF Futty Danso (L lateral meniscectomy); DF Chris Taylor (R hip surgery)
DOUBTFUL: DF Ian Hogg (R ankle sprain)
QUESTIONABLE: FW Kris Boyd (R adductor strain); DF Hanyer Mosquera (R IT band syndrome)
|D.C. United (4-4-2): Busch; Beitashour, Bernardez, Morrow, Corrales; Chavez, Cronin, Baca, Dawkins; Lenhart, Wondolowski.
OUT: MF Mehdi Ballouchy (L knee ACL tear); MF Jacob Hustedt (L ankle surgery); DF Tim Ward (L non-specific soft tissue injury)
QUESTIONABLE: MF Cesar Diaz Pizarro (R groin strain)
PROBABLE: FW Alan Gordon (R ankle sprain)
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- San Jose has already clinched the 2012 Supporters' Shield.
- 'Quakes striker Chris Wondoloski is one goal short of tying the MLS record for goals in a season.
- This is the third meeting for these two sides this year. The Timbers won 2-1 on July 3 at Jeld-Wen Field. Then Chris Wondolowski scored twice to pull the Earthquakes back into a 2-2 draw Sept. 22 at Buck Shaw Stadium.
- The Timbers not only claimed the Cascadia Cup with their 1-0 win at Vancouver, they also avoided becoming the fifth team in MLS history to go an entire season without winning on the road.
- For a second consecutive match, Marvín Chavez both scored a goal and added an assist, playing a part in both 'Quakes goals against LA on Sunday.