thumbnail Hello,

Canadian Championship

  • April 30, 2014
  • • 21:30
  • • Clarke Stadium, Edmonton, Alberta
  • Referee: Drew Fischer
  • • Attendance: 2001

Edmonton win Aggregate 3 - 1

FC Edmonton 3-1 Ottawa Fury: Boakai boosts Eddies into Canadian Championship semis

FC Edmonton 3-1 Ottawa Fury: Boakai boosts Eddies into Canadian Championship semis

Daryl Fordyce and Hanson Boakai provided the goals for Edmonton as the Albertan side defeated upstart Ottawa on Wednesday.

FC Edmonton is heading to the semifinal round of the 2014 Amway Canadian Championship after disapatching fellow NASL side Ottawa Fury FC 3-1 on Wednesday night.

The Eddies rode a breakout perfomance by 17-year-old Hanson Boakai to take the match, which followed a scoreless first leg in Ottawa last week. Boakai notched a goal and two assists in the victory, subbing off in the 77th minute to a warm ovation from the appreciative hometown crowd.

The man most thankful for Boakai's display had to be striker Daryl Fordyce, who twice was on the receiving end of a well-placed pass from the youngster that led to a goal. Edmonton opened the scoring in the 30th minute with Boakai beating his man down the left and placing a low, hard cross into the six-yard box that Fordyce easily side-footed home.

The teenager then got himself on to the scoresheet when he was sent in alone on Fury goalkeeper Devala Gorrick three minutes into the second half. Gorrick did well to parry away the chip attempt by Boakai, but the Canadian youth international latched onto the rebound and slotted home on his second chance.

Fordyce would put the match out of reach just after the hour mark on a similar play to the one that saw him open the scoring in the first half. Boakai once again took the ball down the left side toward the byline, and the youngster's short pass across the face of goal allowed Fordyce the opportunity to hit a curler around a diving Gorrick.

Despite numerous chances of their own, Ottawa would only find the net in the 90th minute as substitute Vini Dantas finished off a nice one-touch passing sequence straight down the middle of the Edmonton defence. It would prove to be too little, too late for the visitors, as Edmonton killed off the remainder of the match without much effort.

With the win, the Eddies advance to the semifinal round of the competition. They will host Voyageurs Cup holders Montreal Impact at Clarke Stadium in the first leg next week. 



From the web