thumbnail Hello,

U17 World Cup

  • October 22, 2013
  • • 09:00
  • • Al-Rashid Stadium (Al Ahli Stadium), Dubayy (Dubai)
  • Referee: Heber Roberto Lopes
  • • Attendance: 9135

Canada 1-1 Iran: U-17s grab come-from-behind draw

Canada 1-1 Iran: U-17s grab come-from-behind draw

Canada Soccer

Canada claimed its second draw in as many matches as to remain undefeated in the 2013 FIFA U-17 World Cup.

It wasn't pretty, but Canada managed to remain undefeated through two games in the 2013 FIFA U-17 World Cup via a 1-1 draw with Iran on Tuesday.

Some spectacular goalkeeping from Vancouver Whitecaps Residency prospect Marco Carducci and a timely goal from Jordan Hamilton propelled the Canadians to the comeback draw, as the Iranians would surely be left frustrated by the result given the run of play.

Iran showed it was unafraid to shoot from distance, and it opened the scoring in the ninth minute from a 30-yard Amir Hossein Karimi blast that Carducci had no chance on.

Canada nearly answered just moments later as Hanson Boakai found Hamilton with a nifty pass, but the Toronto FC Academy forward's chip hit the side netting rather than the back of the net.

Both sides then took turns attacking in an open first half, with Canada making plenty of noise going forward but unable to capitalize on a number of chances.

The Canadians would break through early in the second half through Hamilton, who struck for his second goal in as many matches in the 48th minute. The striker received a ball in front of the Iranian goal after a corner kick and, after taking a small step back to get the ball out of his feet, fired a high shot that knocked in off the left post.

Iran poured on the offence almost immediately after Hamilton's equalizer, and Canada had to rely on a bit of last-ditch defending in order to keep its opponent from regaining the lead. The best unfulfilled chance came for the Iranians in the 70th minute, as Amir Mazloum danced his way into the Canadian area from the left wing and knocked his shot off the post.

Despite a visibly tired Canadian side being under near-constant pressure for much of the final 30 minutes, the game ended in a deadlock. Canada now sits on two points after two matches, and the team will close out its group stage on Friday against Argentina.