FA Cup Preview: Stoke City - Crystal Palace
The South London outfit has struggled for regular form in the Championship of late, while Tony Pulis will be eyeing a reaction from his side while hoping to avoid an upset.
By Adam Mazrani
Shotton, Shawcross, Upson, Wilkinson
Kightly, Whitehead, Adam, Walters
Parr, Ramage, Delaney, Moxey
Jedinak, Blake, Mortiz
Bolasie, Murray, Zaha
Stoke City has no new injury problems to report after its 17-game unbeaten record at home in the Premier League was ended in comprehensive fashion by Chelsea, although Marc Wilson (ankle) and Rory Delap (hernia) remain long-term absentees.
Thomas Sorensen should replace Asmir Begovic in goal as Pulis continues his policy of rotating his keepers in the cup competitions.
Elsewhere, Robert Huth may be rested after playing every minute of every Premier League game so far this season, while Michael Owen could be handed only his second start for the club up front alongside Peter Crouch after also playing in the original tie from the beginning.
Ian Holloway's hand has been forced by Kagisho Dikgacoi's absence due to his involvement in the Africa Cup of Nations with hosts South Africa.
Owen Garvan picked up a knee injury that will rule him out until April last week, while defender Joel Ward (groin) is also out.
Attacking starlet Wilfried Zaha is fit and expected to feature, as he looks to prove his abilities against tough Premier League opposition.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Stoke has conceded 10 goals in its last three league games, compared to 14 in their previous 19 outings.
- Michael Owen (pictured right) has only scored three goals since the beginning of the 2011-12 season. All were for Manchester United and all came in cup competitions.
- The last time these two sides met at the Britannia came in April 2008, when Neil Warnock's Crystal Palace triumphed 2-1 thanks to goals from Tom Soares and Jose Fonte, with Glenn Whelan grabbing Stoke's consolation.
- Whelan is one of four of that matchday squad who remain at Stoke, the others being goalkeeper Carlo Nash, midfielder Rory Delap and substitute Ryan Shawcross, who is now the club captain.
- Glen Murray has scored 22 times in 23 league appearances for Crystal Palace so far this season, already 18 more than he notched in 38 appearances in the whole of last term.
- In the last 10 seasons, Crystal Palace has only gone beyond the fourth round of the FA Cup twice, reaching the fifth round in 2003 and 2010.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to $100 CAD|
Top 3 Predictions
Stoke City 2-1 Crystal Palace
- 14.68 %
Stoke City 2-0 Crystal Palace
- 8.87 %
Stoke City 3-1 Crystal Palace
- 7.17 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||2013-08-24||Stoke City 2 - Crystal Palace 1|
|England - FA Cup (FA)||2013-01-15||Stoke City 4 - Crystal Palace 1|
|England - FA Cup (FA)||2013-01-05||Crystal Palace 0 - Stoke City 0|
|2013-12-04||Stoke City 0 - Cardiff 0||EPL|
|2013-11-30||Everton 4 - Stoke City 0||EPL|
|2013-11-23||Stoke City 2 - Sunderland 0||EPL|
|2013-11-10||Swansea City 3 - Stoke City 3||EPL|
|2013-11-02||Stoke City 1 - Southampton 1||EPL|
Times In EST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed