FA Cup Preview: Mansfield - Liverpool
The Premier League club travels to Nottinghamshire on a two-game winning streak to face the side sitting ninth in England's fifth tier.
By Chris Teale
Sutton, Geohaghon, Beevers, Thompson
Howell, Clements, Murray, Daniel
Wisdom, Coates, Carragher, Johnson
Henderson, Sahin, Assaidi
Sterling, Suarez, Sturridge
Mansfield should field a strong side as it searches for a giant-killing in one of its biggest home ties for many years.
The Stags’ biggest goal threat will come from Jake Speight, who has scored six goals this season. He will be supported in attack by Matt Green, with the impressive Anthony Howell expected to provide a key outlet in the midfield.
Reds manager Brendan Rodgers may rotate his squad for this game and give some fringe players time on the pitch, with new signing Daniel Sturridge a possibility for a first appearance since joining from Chelsea.
Goalkeeper Brad Jones missed the game with QPR due to illness, but he should recover and may start in place of Pepe Reina. Meanwhile, a number of younger players may be handed a chance, including the highly-rated Oussama Assaidi, who has impressed already in his limited appearances this season.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Mansfield has only failed to progress to the first round proper of the FA Cup once in more 80 years since falling into non-league football, losing in the fourth qualifying round to Fleetwood Town in 2011.
- To get to the third round, the Stags have required replays in two of their ties, including penalties to overcome Slough Town from the eighth tier of English football.
- Field Mill has been Mansfield’s home since 1919 and can hold 10,000 people, but is restricted to 7,574 seated spectators.
- This game will be the first time these sides have faced each other in history.
- Liverpool has won the FA Cup seven times, including as part of their 2000-01 cup treble under current New York Red Bulls head of global soccer Gerard Houllier (pictured).
- Luis Suarez’s 15 Premier League goals for the Reds this season is the most by a Liverpool player since Fernando Torres scored 18 in 2009-10.
- The Reds hit the woodwork 26 times in 2012, more than any other side in the top flight.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to $100 CAD|
Top 3 Predictions
Mansfield Town 0-3 Liverpool
- 15.76 %
Mansfield Town 0-4 Liverpool
- 11.3 %
Mansfield Town 1-3 Liverpool
- 8.47 %
|England - FA Cup (FA)||2013-01-06||Mansfield Town 1 - Liverpool 2|
|2013-12-07||Oldham Athletic 1 - Mansfield Town 1||FA|
|2013-11-30||Mansfield Town 1 - Morecambe 2||EFL2|
|2013-11-26||Burton Albion 1 - Mansfield Town 0||EFL2|
|2013-11-23||Fleetwood Town 5 - Mansfield Town 4||EFL2|
|2013-11-16||Mansfield Town 1 - Oxford United 3||EFL2|
|-||Exodus Isaac Geohaghon||Defender|
|-||Matthew James Green||Striker|
Times In EST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed