Champions League Preview: Porto - Malaga
Manuel Pellegrini's team has yet to taste defeat on the road in the competition, however its only previous loss in Europe came across the border to Portuguese opposition.
By Tom Webber
Danilo, Otamendi, Mangala, Alex Sandro
Lucho, Fernando, Moutinho
Atsu, Martinez, Rodriguez
Sanchez, Weligton, Demichelis, Antunes
Joaquin, Isco, Portillo
Malaga will be hopeful of coming away from the Dragao with an unbeaten Champions League record still intact as it faces Porto in the last 16.
Manuel Pellegrini will be unable to select either of his first choice fullbacks for the visit to Portugal, where the team suffered its only ever European defeat. Eliseu and Jesus Gamez are both out of contention while Martin Demichelis could return after missing out on the weekend win over Athletic Bilbao.
Meanwhile, Porto, which will have an extra few days rest come match day, welcomes back James Rodriguez to the starting lineup. Vitor Pereira will stick with the same back four that he has used in every league game as the Dragoes look to improve upon a lackluster record against Spanish opposition which includes seven losses in front of their own fans in 17 games.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Porto, which last lifted the trophy in 2004, is in the knockout stages for the 10th time.
- The Dragoes were victorious the last time they welcomed Spanish opposition to Portugal. Villarreal was handed a 5-1 thrashing as Andre Villas-Boas led the club to the 2010-11 Europa League title.
- Porto's overall record against Spanish opposition leaves a lot to be desired, winning 12 and drawing five in 37 meetings.
- Malaga remains unbeaten in what is its debut season in the Champions League.
- The Andalusians' only defeat in 12 European away games came against former Portuguese giant Boavista in the 2002-03 UEFA Cup.
- Martin Demichelis (pictured right) could come up against former River Plate teammate Lucho Gonzalez.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to $100 CAD|
Top 3 Predictions
Porto 2-1 Malaga
- 17.32 %
Porto 1-2 Malaga
- 13.99 %
Porto 2-0 Malaga
- 12.33 %
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||2013-03-13||Malaga 2 - Porto 0|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||2013-02-19||Porto 1 - Malaga 0|
|2013-12-07||Porto 2 - Sporting Braga 0||POR1|
|2013-11-30||Academica Coimbra 1 - Porto 0||POR1|
|2013-11-26||Porto 1 - Austria Wien 1||UCL|
|2013-11-23||Porto 1 - CD Nacional 1||POR1|
|2013-11-06||Zenit 1 - Porto 1||UCL|
|-||Marat Nailevich Izmailov||Striker|
|4||Maicon Pereira Roque||Defender|
|-||Christian Twasam Atsu||Striker|
|9||Roque Santa Cruz||Striker|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed