Confederations Cup Preview: Uruguay - Tahiti
A vital victory over Nigeria made Oscar Tabarez's men favorites to qualify and only Eddy Etaeta's porous side stands in the way of a spot in the next round.
By Tom Webber
Uruguay goes into its final Group B fixture in third position, but will be confident of bettering Nigeria's result against Spain and reaching the semifinals.
|Bet:||Returns:||Uruguay $25.00||Draw $32.50||England $26.20|
Oscar Tabarez will only be without Diego Lugano, who is suspended having already picked up two yellow cards in the tournament. Liverpool's Sebastian Coates is likely to fill in at the center of defense.
The coach may take the opportunity to rotate some more players, despite the need for a large number of goals, but Uruguay cannot afford to underestimate its opponents at risk of enormous embarrassment.
Eddy Etaeta, meanwhile, has a full complement to select from in his Tahiti squad. The Pacific islanders, who have become the darlings of the tournament despite conceding 16 goals in two games, know that they face another tough test and will need to markedly improve defensively in order to keep the score down.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Sunday will provide the first ever meeting between these two international sides.
- Diego Forlan (pictured, right) marked his 100th Uruguay appearance with the winning goal against Nigeria in midweek. He is now his country's highest scoring player ever with 34 goals.
- La Celeste reached the semifinal stage in their only previous Confederations Cup campaign, ending the tournament in fourth position.
- Tahiti suffered the competitions largest ever defeat when it lost 10-0 to World champion Spain on Thursday. It was also the biggest loss in the nation's soccer history.
- The current Oceania champion is ranked 138th in the FIFA rankings.
- Eddy Etaeta's side is already eliminated from the tournament but has won the hearts of soccer fans across the globe.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to $100 CAD|
Top 3 Predictions
Uruguay 7-0 Tahiti
- 22.57 %
Uruguay 5-0 Tahiti
- 9.55 %
Uruguay 6-0 Tahiti
- 7.94 %
|World - FIFA Confederations Cup (FCC)||2013-06-23||Uruguay 8 - Tahiti 0|
|2014-03-05||Austria 1 - Uruguay 1||FR|
|2013-11-20||Uruguay 0 - Jordan 0||WCQ|
|2013-11-13||Jordan 0 - Uruguay 5||WCQ|
|2013-10-15||Uruguay 3 - Argentina 2||WCQS|
|2013-10-11||Ecuador 1 - Uruguay 0||WCQS|
|1||Néstor Muslera Micol||Goalkeeper|
|14||Steevy Chong Hue||Striker|
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed