Champions League Preview: Ajax - Real Madrid
Frank de Boer's side was eliminated at this stage of the tournament by the visitors in each of the last two seasons and will hope to do better this time around
By Karthick Arvinth
Van Rhijn, Alderweireld, Moisander, Blind
De Jong, Poulsen, Eriksen
Sana, Babel, Boerrigter
Arbeloa, Pepe, Ramos, Marcelo
Di Maria, Modric, Ronaldo
Ajax could name the same team that beat Twente at the weekend for Wednesday's Champions League encounter with Real Madrid at the Amsterdam Arena.
South African midfielder Thulani Serero misses out because of his continuing groin injury, while Kolbeinn Sigthorsson is sidelined with a shoulder problem.
Xabi Alonso and Alvaro Arbeloa are set to make returns to the Real Madrid starting lineup after being rested on the bench for Sunday's 5-1 win over Deportivo La Coruna.
Gonzalo Higuain could make way for Karim Benzema up front, while Luka Modric could make his first Champions League start for the club.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Ajax is on a 12-match unbeaten run at the Amsterdam Arena in all competitions (W11, D1). The club's last home defeat came against Manchester United in the Europa League in February.
- The Dutch side's overall home record against Spanish opposition is W8, D3, L4, but has won only one of its last seven games against Primera Division clubs.
- Ajax has failed to score in its last three Champions League outings.
- Real Madrid has beaten Ajax home and away in each of the last two seasons in the Champions League group stage with an aggregate score of 12-0.
- The Castilian outfit's overall record in the Netherlands is W4, D4, L4.
- Madrid has lost three of their four away games this season.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to $100 CAD|
Top 3 Predictions
Ajax 0-3 Real Madrid CF
- 20.69 %
Ajax 1-3 Real Madrid CF
- 14.57 %
Ajax 0-2 Real Madrid CF
- 8.42 %
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||2012-12-04||Real Madrid CF 4 - Ajax 1|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||2012-10-03||Ajax 1 - Real Madrid CF 4|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||2011-12-07||Ajax 0 - Real Madrid CF 3|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||2011-09-27||Real Madrid CF 3 - Ajax 0|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||2010-11-23||Ajax 0 - Real Madrid CF 4|
|2013-05-12||FC Groningen 0 - Ajax 2||ERE|
|2013-05-05||Ajax 5 - Willem II 0||ERE|
|2013-04-27||NAC Breda 0 - Ajax 2||ERE|
|2013-04-19||Ajax 1 - SC Heerenveen 1||ERE|
|2013-04-14||PSV 2 - Ajax 3||ERE|
|Returns:||Ajax $290.00||Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to $100 CAD|
|Returns:||Draw $65.00||Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to $100 CAD|
|Returns:||Real Madrid $11.50||Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to $100 CAD|
|34||Ricardo van Rhijn||Defender|
|10||Siem de Jong||Midfielder|
|-||Fabian Mitchel Sporkslede||Defender|
|22||Ángel Di María||Midfielder|