Champions League Preview: Manchester United - Galatasaray
The Red Devils will look to put the Turkish champion to the sword at Old Trafford and put to rest the disappointment of crashing out at this stage of the competition last year.
By Husmukh Kerai
Rafael, Vidic, Ferdinand, Buttner
Valencia, Kagawa, Nani
Eboue, Cris, Kaya, Balta
Melo, Inan, A Yilmaz
B Yilmaz, Elmander, Amrabat
Patrice Evra (knock) looks set to miss Manchester United's opening Champions League match with Alexander Buttner set to continue in his place.
Wayne Rooney (thigh) is touch-and-go but Ashley Young (knee) will not recover in time to face Fatih Terim's side. They will focus their attention on a comeback against Liverpool on Sunday. Chris Smalling (metatarsal) and Phil Jones (knee) are still long-term absentees.
The most notable player missing for the Turkish side is veteran Czech defender Tomas Ujfalusi (Cruciate Ligament) who will probably miss the remainder of the season. Engin Beytar may feature after sitting out the Turkish champion's league matches so far this season due to suspension.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Manchester United goalkeeper Anders Lindegaard (pictured right) is yet to concede a goal for the club at Old Trafford.
- The Red Devils are competing in their 17th successive Champions League group stage.
- United has won three, drawn once and lost twice at home against Turkish teams. Beşiktaş was the last visiting side to win at Old Trafford in 2009-10.
- This is Galatasaray's first appearance in the Champions League group stage since 2006-07.
- The clubs met in the 1994-95 groups, drawing 0-0 in Istanbul before a 4-0 United home victory featuring David Beckham's first goal for the club.
- Galatasaray has never won in England, having drawn three and lost four. Its most recent trip brought a 3-2 group stage defeat at Liverpool in 2006-07.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to $100 CAD|
Top 3 Predictions
Manchester United 3-0 Galatasaray
- 23.4 %
Manchester United 2-0 Galatasaray
- 13.36 %
Manchester United 3-1 Galatasaray
- 12.74 %
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||2012-11-20||Galatasaray 1 - Manchester United 0|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||2012-09-19||Manchester United 1 - Galatasaray 0|
|2013-05-19||West Bromwich Albion 5 - Manchester United 5||EPL|
|2013-05-12||Manchester United 2 - Swansea City 1||EPL|
|2013-05-05||Manchester United 0 - Chelsea FC 1||EPL|
|2013-04-28||Arsenal FC 1 - Manchester United 1||EPL|
|2013-04-22||Manchester United 3 - Aston Villa 0||EPL|
|Returns:||Man. United $10.30||Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to $100 CAD|
|Returns:||Draw $130.00||Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to $100 CAD|
|Returns:||Galatasaray $660.00||Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to $100 CAD|
|1||David de Gea||Goalkeeper|
|20||Robin van Persie||Striker|
|25||Néstor Muslera Micol||Goalkeeper|