Supercoppa Italiana Preview: Juventus - Napoli
The new season in Italy is finally upon us, and it is last term's Coppa Italia finalists who will once more take center stage, with the Scudetto holder keen to exert revenge.
By Livio Caferoglu
Lucio, Barzagli, Chiellini
L'steiner, Vidal, Pirlo, Marchisio, De Ceglie
Campagnaro, Cannavaro, Aronica
Maggio, Hamsik, Inler, Behrami, Zuniga
Juventus is likely to name a full-strength XI for its trip to the National Stadium in Beijing, where it will contest the 2012-13 Supercoppa Italiana against Napoli. Several changes are in the pipeline from the 2-0 friendly success over Malaga, with Luca Marrone, Simone Padoin, Kwadwo Asamoah and Sebastian Giovinco ready to be dropped in favor of Andrea Barzagli, Giorgio Chiellini, Paolo De Ceglie and Mirko Vucinic.
After being found innocent in the Scommessopoli match-fixing scandal, Simone Pepe and Leonardo Bonucci are both eligible to feature in the China showpiece. The pair originally seemed destined to miss out, but their names have since been cleared.
However, Antonio Conte's 10-month ban from soccer, along with assistant Angelo Alessio, the departure of first team coach Cristian Stellini, means it is presently uncertain as to who will take charge of the side in Asia.
Meanwhile for Napoli, numerous alterations are also to be expected. The side may have eased to a 2-0 win over Bordeaux in its last preseason outing, but coach Walter Mazzarri will be in no mood to experiment come the weekend.
Consequently, Federico Fernandez, Walter Gargano, Blerim Dzemaili, Andrea Dossena and Eduardo Vargas should all be replaced by Paolo Cannavaro, Gokhan Inler, Marek Hamsik, Juan Zuniga and Edinson Cavani, the latter of whom returns from an unsuccessful Olympics campaign.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Juventus went the entire 2011-12 Serie A campaign unbeaten, before eventually lifting the title.
- Despite being one of the more successful sides to have won the fixture, the Old Lady last lifted the trophy in 2003.
- However, their recent record over the Partenopei is poor, with only two victories in their last eight.
- Napoli holds the upper hand over these two teams, having won their last meeting 2-0 in last season's Coppa Italia final.
- Marek Hamsik has scored five goals against Juventus, more than against any other club.
- Napoli's only appearance in the Supercoppa was in 1990 - a resounding 5-1 success over Juventus.
- Both sides have enjoyed unbeaten preseason campaigns, with Juve winning two of its three matches and Napoli maintaining a 100 percent record.
- This will be the second time Beijing plays host to the Supercoppa, with at least two out of the next three curtain raisers to be played at the National Stadium.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to $100 CAD|
Top 3 Predictions
Juventus 2-0 Napoli
- 27.4 %
Juventus 2-1 Napoli
- 13.44 %
Juventus 3-1 Napoli
- 10.65 %
|Italy - Serie A (ITA1)||2013-03-01||Napoli 1 - Juventus 1|
|Italy - Serie A (ITA1)||2012-10-20||Juventus 2 - Napoli 0|
|Italy - TIM Supercup (TIMS)||2012-08-11||Juventus 4 - Napoli 2|
|Italy - Coppa Italia (ITAC)||2012-05-20||Juventus 0 - Napoli 2|
|Italy - Serie A (ITA1)||2012-04-01||Juventus 3 - Napoli 0|
|2013-05-18||Sampdoria 3 - Juventus 2||ITA1|
|2013-05-11||Juventus 1 - Cagliari 1||ITA1|
|2013-05-08||Atalanta 0 - Juventus 1||ITA1|
|2013-05-05||Juventus 1 - Palermo 0||ITA1|
|2013-04-28||Torino 0 - Juventus 2||ITA1|
|Returns:||Juventus $50.00||Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to $100 CAD|
|Returns:||Draw $31.00||Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to $100 CAD|
|Returns:||Napoli $18.50||Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to $100 CAD|
|11||Paolo De Ceglie||Defender|
|1||Morgan De Sanctis||Goalkeeper|
|14||Hugo Armando Campagnaro||Defender|
|5||Miguel Angel Britos||Defender|
|18||Juan Camilo Zúñiga||Defender|
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed