Premier League Preview: Wigan - Sunderland
The DW Stadium outfit are suffering from a series of injuries and poor home form this year, but manager Roberto Martinez is hopeful he can strengthen his side with two new signings
By Sion Cleaver
Espinoza, Caldwell, Figueroa
Boyce, McCarthy, Jones, Beausejour
Gardner, O'Shea, Bramble, Colback
Johnson, Vaughan, Larsson, McClean
Roberto Martinez' Wigan will be without Ivan Ramis (knee) who is suffering from a suspected ligament injury.
The Latics boss is therefore likely to give new signing Roger Espinoza his Premier League debut in defense, with fellow newcomer Angelo Henrique likely to start on the bench.
Antolín Alcaraz (groin) has been deemed not fit for Sunderland's visit to the DW Stadium alongside long-term injury sufferers Adrián Lopez (hamstring), Ryo Miyaichi (ankle) and Ben Watson (broken leg).
Sunderland, meanwhile, will be without Lee Cattermole (knee) for the trip to Wigan, with Black Cats boss Martin O'Neill likely to opt for the inclusion of David Vaughan in midfield.
Wes Brown (knee) is unlikely to travel despite continuing his recovery from an injury that has seen him on the sidelines since January 2012 while Danny Rose and Carlos Cuellar are also expected to miss out.
Steven Fletcher is set to make his return from illness at the DW Stadium on Saturday afternoon.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Wigan has conceded 40 top-flight goals so far this season, the third worst tally in the Premier League.
- Jordi Gomez (pictured right) has cemented himself as the Latics' top goalscorer so far this campaign with six goals.
- The hosts have the second-worst home form in the Premier League, taking only nine points from 11 games at the DW Stadium.
- Sunderland has won three out of its last six Premier League clashes against Wigan, with the last outing ending 1-0 in the Black Cats' favour last September.
- Steven Fletcher has established himself as top goalscorer for Martin O'Neill side this season, with eight top-flight goals so far.
- The visitors have scored 24 goals and conceded 29 times this campaign.
- Martin O'Neill's side has the 10th best away form in the division, having taken 10 points from 11 games on the road.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to $100 CAD|
Top 3 Predictions
Wigan Athletic 1-2 Sunderland
- 19.36 %
Wigan Athletic 1-1 Sunderland
- 12.1 %
Wigan Athletic 2-1 Sunderland
- 7.26 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||2013-01-19||Wigan Athletic 2 - Sunderland 3|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||2012-09-29||Sunderland 1 - Wigan Athletic 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||2012-01-03||Wigan Athletic 1 - Sunderland 4|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||2011-11-26||Sunderland 1 - Wigan Athletic 2|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||2011-04-23||Sunderland 4 - Wigan Athletic 2|
|2013-05-19||Wigan Athletic 2 - Aston Villa 2||EPL|
|2013-05-14||Arsenal FC 4 - Wigan Athletic 1||EPL|
|2013-05-11||Manchester City 0 - Wigan Athletic 1||FA|
|2013-05-07||Wigan Athletic 2 - Swansea City 3||EPL|
|2013-05-04||West Bromwich Albion 2 - Wigan Athletic 3||EPL|
|Returns:||Wigan $510.00||Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to $100 CAD|
|Returns:||Draw $70.00||Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to $100 CAD|
|Returns:||Sunderland $11.10||Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to $100 CAD|
|26||Ali Al Habsi||Goalkeeper|
|9||Franco Di Santo||Striker|
|27||Ahmed El Mohamady||Midfielder|
Times In EST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed