Premier League Preview: Manchester United - West Brom
The Red Devils opened up a big advantage over Manchester City with a last-gasp win over Newcastle, but Steve Clarke's men could well punish Sir Alex Ferguson's leaky defense.
By Tom J Doyle
Smalling, Ferdinand, Evans, Evra
Valencia, Carrick, Cleverley, Giggs
Van Persie, Chicharito
Jones, Olsson, McAuley, Ridgewell
Odemwingie, Gera, Brunt
Wayne Rooney (knee) is definitely out of the game for the hosts, while Danny Welbeck could still be sidelined as he missed the Newcastle game with an illness. Captain Nemanja Vidic complained of soreness in his knee after the 1-1 draw with Swansea, and could be rested again.
Shinji Kagawa (knee) is nearing full fitness but this game may prove to be too soon for him, while Anderson, Rafael and Nani (all hamstring) are scheduled to return but may have to settle for places on the bench if they are fit.
Phil Jones and Ashley Young are still recovering from knocks, but could yet make the match-day squad.
Goran Popov (hamstring) has no return date and could miss the match for the visitors against the Premier League leaders. Steven Reid (calf/shin) and Claudio Yacob (hamstring) could make a return against United, but Steve Clarke may opt not to rush them back into the first team at Old Trafford.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Manchester United has won 10 of its last 12 games against West Brom in the Premier League, with the other two results being draws at Old Trafford.
- United has conceded as many goals at home this season - 13 - as Southampton, which sits in 17th place in the league.
- After netting his fourth of the campaign against Newcastle, Patrice Evra (pictured, right) leads all Premier League defenders in goals.
- Robin van Persie has 61 goals in 74 Premier League games since January 2011.
- Chicharito has scored in two of his last three games against West Brom.
- West Brom has kept clean sheets in just two of its last 47 Premier League games.
- Four of Romelu Lukaku's goals this season have come in the final 20 minutes of matches.
- The Baggies could go third with a win over United on Saturday, and would be 10 points behind them in the race for the title.
- West Brom last won at Old Trafford in 1978, taking the points in a 5-3 victory.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to $100 CAD|
Top 3 Predictions
Manchester United 3-1 West Bromwich Albion
- 22.41 %
Manchester United 3-0 West Bromwich Albion
- 12.76 %
Manchester United 2-0 West Bromwich Albion
- 7.32 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||2013-09-28||Manchester United 1 - West Bromwich Albion 2|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||2013-05-19||West Bromwich Albion 5 - Manchester United 5|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||2012-12-29||Manchester United 2 - West Bromwich Albion 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||2012-03-11||Manchester United 2 - West Bromwich Albion 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||2011-08-14||West Bromwich Albion 1 - Manchester United 2|
|2013-12-04||Manchester United 0 - Everton 1||EPL|
|2013-12-01||Tottenham 2 - Manchester United 2||EPL|
|2013-11-27||Bayer 04 Leverkusen 0 - Manchester United 5||UCL|
|2013-11-24||Cardiff 2 - Manchester United 2||EPL|
|2013-11-10||Manchester United 1 - Arsenal FC 0||EPL|
|1||David de Gea||Goalkeeper|
|20||Robin van Persie||Striker|
|30||Sebastien Gabriel Tamaş||Defender|
|11||Yassine El Ghanassy||Striker|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed