Premier League Preview: Swansea - Manchester United
The Welsh side has not tasted victory over Sir Alex Ferguson's team since January 1982, but three points could see the Swans jump into eighth place and European contention.
By Alex Hess
Rangel, Chico, Williams, Davies
Dyer, De Guzman, Routledge
Rafael, Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra
Valencia, Cleverley, Carrick, Young
Rooney, van Persie
Michael Laudrup could welcome back Michel Vorm (groin) in goal for his side, with the Dutchman in contention again after missing his side's last 10 fixtures, but Gerhard Tremmel is expected to continue to deputize.
Leading scorer Michu should be passed fit after a knock suffered late on in Swansea's defeat at White Hart Lane, although the fixture may come too soon for fellow Spaniard Pablo Hernandez (hip). Neil Taylor (ankle) remains a long-term absentee.
For the visitors, Nemanja Vidic could make his long-awaited return to the starting lineup, having made his first appearance in three months from the bench against Sunderland last weekend. Shinji Kagawa (knee), Jonny Evans (hamstring) and Nani (hamstring) remain major doubts for the clash, while Anderson (hamstring) is unlikely to play again until the end of the month.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Swansea last beat Manchester United in January 1982, and went on to finish sixth in the top flight that season.
- Michael Laudrup's side is currently amassing points at a rate that would see the Swans end the season with 51 - five more than last campaign.
- Michu, with his two goals against Norwich, has already matched the tally (12) that made Danny Graham the club's top scorer last season.
- Manchester United has conceded 14 goals on the road in the Premier League so far this season. At this point last term, the Red Devils had let in three.
- Despite Sir Alex Ferguson insisting that Robin van Persie has further improved United's attack, United had scored only one fewer league goal (42) after the same number of matches last season.
- Since Nemanja Vidic (pictured right) arrived at Old Trafford in 2006, the club has conceded an average of 0.71 goals per game with him in the side. Without the Serbian, the number rises to 0.99
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to $100 CAD|
Top 3 Predictions
Swansea City 1-3 Manchester United
- 20.82 %
Swansea City 0-3 Manchester United
- 11.14 %
Swansea City 0-2 Manchester United
- 8.06 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||2014-01-11||Manchester United 2 - Swansea City 0|
|England - FA Cup (FA)||2014-01-05||Manchester United 1 - Swansea City 2|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||2013-08-17||Swansea City 1 - Manchester United 4|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||2013-05-12||Manchester United 2 - Swansea City 1|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||2012-12-23||Swansea City 1 - Manchester United 1|
|2014-04-13||Swansea City 0 - Chelsea FC 1||EPL|
|2014-04-05||Hull City 1 - Swansea City 0||EPL|
|2014-03-29||Swansea City 3 - Norwich City 0||EPL|
|2014-03-25||Arsenal FC 2 - Swansea City 2||EPL|
|2014-03-22||Everton 3 - Swansea City 2||EPL|
|20||Jonathan De Guzmán||Midfielder|
|1||David de Gea||Goalkeeper|
|20||Robin van Persie||Striker|