Premier League Preview: West Brom - Stoke
Steve Clarke's side suffered a mid-week defeat but has the opportunity to rectify that against Tony Pulis' team that is lacking in ambition going forward when on the road.
By Arthur Virgo
Jones, McAuley, Olsson, Ridgewell
Odemwingie, Morrison, Brunt
Shotton, Shawcross, Huth, Cameron
Walters, Whelan, N'Zonzi, Adam, Etherington
West Brom will continue with Boaz Myhill in goal in place of regular keeper Ben Foster (groin), while right back Steven Reid (hamstring) and center back Craig Dawson (eye injury) are also unavailable.
Steve Clarke could return forward Shane Long to a lone striking role in place of Romelu Lukaku after he was rested on Wednesday against Swansea, with Peter Odemwingie to his right. Chris Brunt could retain his place on the left flank, with Zoltan Gera doubtful (groin).
Stoke is without defenders Marc Wilson (ankle) and Andy Wilkinson (back), so Ryan Shotton is likely to retain his place at right back with Geoff Cameron again at left back.
Matthew Etherington has been preferred to Michael Kightly on the left flank of late, while Rory Delap (hernia) is unavailable.
In attack, regular lone striker Peter Crouch (mouth) is unlikely to feature after losing three teeth in mid-week action, while Michael Owen (hamstring) is doubtful. Kenwyne Jones and Wednesday's goal scorer Cameron Jerome are therefore in contention for their first starts this season, but each could feature at some point.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- West Brom had collected four consecutive league victories until Wednsday when the side was defeated 3-1 by Swansea, but still occupies fourth place in the table.
- The Baggies have a formidable home record this season, having won six of their last seven at the Hawthorns in the Premier League.
- Stoke is unbeaten in four games and has won its previous two, having conceded just two goals at home and 12 in the Premier League so far this season. Only champion Manchester City has conceded fewer (10).
- The Potters are weak away from the Britannia Stadium, though, and have failed to win in their last 16 Premier League away games, a run stretching back to Jan. 2.
- Stoke has won itsr last three matches against West Brom at the Hawthorns, keeping a clean sheet in each match.
- The Baggies won the last time the two sides met after a winning goal in stoppage time from Graham Dorrans (pictured) cancelled out Jerome's late equalizer.
- Saturday's game will see several men playing for the same nation line up against each other after. West Brom striker Long will face Republic of Ireland teammates John Walters and Glenn Whelan, while Scotland international playmakers James Morrison and Charlie Adam will be on opposing sides.
- Crouch is crucial to Stoke's aerial game and has started every match this season, scoring or assisting on seven goals so far this season, more than half Tony Pulis’ side’s 13.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to $100 CAD|
Top 3 Predictions
West Bromwich Albion 2-0 Stoke City
- 17.79 %
West Bromwich Albion 2-1 Stoke City
- 16.56 %
West Bromwich Albion 3-1 Stoke City
- 8.59 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||2013-03-16||Stoke City 0 - West Bromwich Albion 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||2012-12-01||West Bromwich Albion 0 - Stoke City 1|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||2012-01-21||Stoke City 1 - West Bromwich Albion 2|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||2011-08-28||West Bromwich Albion 0 - Stoke City 1|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||2011-02-28||Stoke City 1 - West Bromwich Albion 1|
|West Bromwich Albion|
|2013-05-12||Norwich City 4 - West Bromwich Albion 0||EPL|
|2013-05-07||Manchester City 1 - West Bromwich Albion 0||EPL|
|2013-05-04||West Bromwich Albion 2 - Wigan Athletic 3||EPL|
|2013-04-27||Southampton 0 - West Bromwich Albion 3||EPL|
|2013-04-20||West Bromwich Albion 1 - Newcastle United 1||EPL|
|Returns:||West Brom $340.00||Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to $100 CAD|
|Returns:||Draw $60.00||Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to $100 CAD|
|Returns:||Stoke City $11.10||Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to $100 CAD|
|30||Sebastien Gabriel Tamaş||Defender|