Premier League Preview: Newcastle United - Wigan
The Magpies head into Monday night's game depleted by injury and on a run of four straight defeats, while Roberto Martinez's men are chasing their first win at St James' Park.
By Theo Squires
Simpson, Coloccini, Williamson, Santon
Gutierrez, Anita, Tiote, Ferguson
Stam, Ramis, Figueroa
Boyce, McCarthy, Gomez, Jones
Di Santo, Kone, Beausejour
Newcastle boss Alan Pardew has been given a selection headache in recent weeks, with many of his star players being ruled out through injury. Further weakening sees Steven Taylor (hamstring) and Yohan Cabaye (groin) the latest names to be deemed unavailable until 2013.
The duo joins Hatem Ben Arfa (hamstring), Dan Gosling (knee), Gabriel Obertan (toe), Ryan Taylor and Haris Vuckic (both knee) on the sidelines, although Shola Ameobi could return.
Roberto Martinez could welcome back as many as six members of his squad from injury for the Latics' trip to St James' Park.
Antolin Alcaraz (groin), Gary Caldwell (hamstring), Albert Crusat (knee), Shaun Maloney (groin), James McArthur (thigh) and Ryo Miyachi (foot) could all return for Wigan, though Ben Watson (leg) remains a long-term absentee.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Wigan's 4-0 home victory over the Magpies last season is the biggest winning margin either side has ever recorded in this fixture. Two goals from Victor Moses as well as as further strikes from Shaun Maloney and Franco Di Santo (pictured) secured the win.
- There has never been a 0-0 draw between these two sides.
- The Latics have never won a game at St James' Park, losing four and drawing three of the meetings across all competitions.
- Roberto Martinez's men have conceded more penalties than any other Premier League side this season (four).
- Newcastle's current run of seven games without a victory is the club's worst-ever winless run under manager Alan Pardew.
- Magpies forward Demba Ba scored twice for West Ham against Wigan in his last game for the Hammers, before making the switch to the northeast.
- During his time at Wigan, current Newcastle defender Ryan Taylor scored in four consecutive games against his new side.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to $100 CAD|
Top 3 Predictions
Newcastle United 2-1 Wigan Athletic
- 19.16 %
Newcastle United 2-0 Wigan Athletic
- 15.85 %
Newcastle United 1-0 Wigan Athletic
- 9.23 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||2013-03-17||Wigan Athletic 2 - Newcastle United 1|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||2012-12-03||Newcastle United 3 - Wigan Athletic 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||2012-04-28||Wigan Athletic 4 - Newcastle United 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||2011-10-22||Newcastle United 1 - Wigan Athletic 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||2011-01-02||Wigan Athletic 0 - Newcastle United 1|
|2013-05-19||Newcastle United 0 - Arsenal FC 1||EPL|
|2013-05-12||QPR 1 - Newcastle United 2||EPL|
|2013-05-04||West Ham United 0 - Newcastle United 0||EPL|
|2013-04-27||Newcastle United 0 - Liverpool 6||EPL|
|2013-04-20||West Bromwich Albion 1 - Newcastle United 1||EPL|
|Returns:||Newcastle United $10.00||Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to $100 CAD|
|Returns:||Draw $340.00||Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to $100 CAD|
|Returns:||Wigan $710.00||Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to $100 CAD|
|26||Ali Al Habsi||Goalkeeper|
|9||Franco Di Santo||Striker|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed