Europa League Preview: Atletico Madrid - Valencia
Diego Simeone and Unai Emery will each be hoping his side's can hit the ground running in the first leg of this semifinal encounter in the Spanish capital.
By Martin Macdonald
Perea, Miranda, Dominguez, Filipe
Adrian, Diego, Arda
Costa, Rami, Ruiz, Alba
Tino Costa, Topal
Feghouli, Jonas, Mathieu
Diego Simeone conducted a training session on Tuesday with only club captain Antonio Lopez and Silvio Pereira not taking part. The two players continue their rehabilitation from injury and worked separately from their teammates during the week.
Atletico Madrid will have to make do without influential defender Diego Godin for the first leg as the Uruguayan will miss the match through suspension.
Unai Emery's side has been buoyed in the last couple of weeks by the return Hedwiges Maduro and Sergio Canales from injury. However, it is unlikely that either player will be match fit to make the starting XI for the Vicente Calderon visit.
Victory Ruiz missed the disappointing 4-0 defeat by Espanyol at the weekend with a minor injury but he is thought to be fit enough to feature against Atletico. Ricardo Costa may come in at right back as Antonio Barragan is suspended. Ever Banega is out for the season after breaking his leg.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Atletico Madrid and Valencia have had one previous meeting in Europe, and it took place in this competition in the 2009-10 season. The Madrid side went through on away goals after earning a 2-2 draw at the Mestalla and then shutting out Valencia 0-0 at home.
- Atletico has won their last eight European home matches since an unexpected 3-2 loss to Aris Thessaloniki FC in the 2010/11 UEFA Europa League group stage.
- Diego Simeone's side is the most prolific scorer left in the competition with 25 goals – one more than Athletic Bilbao. It is the strongest finishers in the tournament in another respect too, with six of those goals coming between the 76th minute and the final whistle.
- Valencia's 11 games against Spanish compatriots in UEFA competition have ended in six wins, three draws, and two losses.
- Los Che have won only one of their last nine continental fixtures on the road (1-0 at Stoke City in this season's round of 32), with the other eight producing four draws and four defeats.
- Unai Emery's side is the only team left in this season's competition which competed in the Champions League group stage.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to $100 CAD|
Top 3 Predictions
Atletico Madrid 2-1 Valencia CF
- 19.19 %
Atletico Madrid 1-2 Valencia CF
- 11.97 %
Atletico Madrid 2-0 Valencia CF
- 10.59 %
|Spain - Copa del Rey (ESPC)||2014-01-14||Atletico Madrid 2 - Valencia CF 0|
|Spain - Copa del Rey (ESPC)||2014-01-07||Valencia CF 1 - Atletico Madrid 1|
|Spain - Primera Division (LIGA)||2013-12-15||Atletico Madrid 3 - Valencia CF 0|
|Spain - Primera Division (LIGA)||2013-03-31||Atletico Madrid 1 - Valencia CF 1|
|Spain - Primera Division (LIGA)||2012-11-03||Valencia CF 2 - Atletico Madrid 0|
|2014-04-22||Atletico Madrid 0 - Chelsea FC 0||UCL|
|2014-04-18||Atletico Madrid 2 - Elche 0||LIGA|
|2014-04-13||Getafe 0 - Atletico Madrid 2||LIGA|
|2014-04-09||Atletico Madrid 1 - FC Barcelona 0||UCL|
|2014-04-05||Atletico Madrid 1 - Villarreal 0||LIGA|
|20||Aritz Aduriz Zubeldia||Striker|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed