Olympic Qualifying Preview USA - El Salvador
The Americans have their backs against the wall, needing a win after a stunning loss to Canada.
By Seth Vertelney
|USA (4-3-3): Hamid; Villafana, Opara, Kitchen, Valentin; Okugo, Diskerud, Corona; Shea, Adu, Boyd||
Goalkeepers: Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire).
Defenders: Perry Kitchen (D.C. United), Ike Opara (San Jose Earthquakes), Kofi Sarkodie (Houston Dynamo), Zarek Valentin (Montreal Impact), Jorge Villafaña (Chivas USA), Sheanon Williams (Philadelphia Union).
Midfielders: Freddy Adu (Philadelphia Union), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Mix Diskerud (Gent), Jared Jeffrey (Mainz), Amobi Okugo (Philadelphia Union), Michael Stephens (Los Angeles Galaxy).
Forwards: Terrence Boyd (Borussia Dortmund), Teal Bunbury (Sporting Kansas City), Joe Gyau (Hoffenheim), Brek Shea (FC Dallas), Tony Taylor (Estoril).
|El Salvador (4-4-2): Y. Cuellar; Garcia, Molina, Larin, Mendoza; Blanco, Flores, Chavarria, Alas; Sosa, Menjivar.
Goalkeepers: Diego Cuellar (Atlético Marte), Yimmy Cuellar (Alianza).
Defenders: Xavier Garcia (Firpo), Milton Molina (Metapan), Alexander Larin (Atlético Marte), Alexander Mendoza (UES).
Midfielders: Jorge Moran (Metapan), Mark Blanco (Metapan), Andres Flores (Metapan), Edwin Sanchez (Metapan), Diego Chavarría (Once Municipal), Jaime Alas (Firpo), Marlon Martinez (Firpo), Herbert Sosa (Alianza), Elman Rivas (Alianza), Darwin Ceren (Juventud Independiente), Richard Menjivar.
Forwards: Jose Gutierrez (Aguila), Jonathan Aguila (Aguila), Dustin Corea (Blokhus)
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- The U.S. is currently in third place in Group A. If Canada wins or draws Cuba in the preceding match, the U.S. will have to beat El Salvador or be eliminated.
- El Salvador has yet to concede a goal in group play: It drew Canada 0-0 in its first match and beat Cuba 4-0 in its second.
Eight players on the U.S. roster have been capped by the full national team
- El Salvador's only appearance in the Olympics came in 1968. Its last appearance in the Olympic qualification final round was in 1996.
- After making two costly errors against Canada, goalkeeper Bill Hamid could be benched in favor of Sean Johnson. When asked if Hamid was still his starter on Sunday, head coach Caleb Porter simply said “We're going to make decisions on the lineups this evening.”
- U.S. forward Juan Agudelo suffered a torn meniscus in the team's first game against Cuba, and is out for the rest of qualification.
- El Salvador and Canada are co-group leaders with four points. The USA has three points while Cuba has zero.
Think you've got the talent and hunger to train like an elite athlete? Prove your skills, show your side in action and get people talking about your game. Getting noticed starts here. Stand Up, Stand Out.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to $100 CAD|
Top 3 Predictions
United States U23 1-2 El Salvador U23
- 15.46 %
United States U23 2-1 El Salvador U23
- 10.91 %
United States U23 3-1 El Salvador U23
- 10.91 %
|CONCACAF Under 23 Olympic Qualifying (OCaf)||2012-03-26||United States U23 3 - El Salvador U23 3|
|United States U23|
|2012-03-26||United States U23 3 - El Salvador U23 3||OCaf|
|2012-03-24||United States U23 0 - Canada U23 2||OCaf|
|2012-03-22||United States U23 6 - Cuba U23 0||OCaf|
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed