Caf Champions League Group C Review: Sundowns slip up in Togo, Wydad held by Horoya

ShareClose Comments
Togo-Port kept their hopes of progression alive with victory over Sundowns, while Horoya and Wydad shared the spoils

The Caf Champions League resumed on Tuesday with several mouth-watering encounters, particularly in Group C.

Mamelodi Sundowns’ continental woes continued in Lome as Togo-Port edged them out 1-0. It was a must-win encounter for both sides, who went into the clash without a victory.

However, it was not to be for the Tshwane giants who failed to take advantage of several opportunities.

Ahead of the clash, Sundowns coach Pitso Mosimane was forced to work on several new combinations with Khama Billiat having departed and Percy Tau heading for the exit door.

The Brazilians were also without South American playmaker Gaston Sirino, who was suspended for the match. This certainly showed on the field as Sundowns lacked their usual fluidity and although, several chances went bagging, they were delivered a sucker punch when Ayi Hunlede capitalised on a mistake at the back.

With the half-time break fast approaching, the ball ricocheted off defender Ricardo Nascimento, but the rest of the Sundowns defenders were slow to react. Hunlede latched onto the loose ball and fired a shot past Denis Onyango.

While Sundowns attempted to fight back in the second half with the introduction of Thokozani Sekotlong, the former African champions could not find a way past an in-form Togo-Port goalkeeper.

Meanwhile, in the group’s other clash Horoya welcomed Wydad Casablanca to Conakry.

Once again victory would have huge ramifications on the group’s outlook. With both Wydad and Horoya tied on four points at the top of the standings, neither side could take advantage of the opportunity provided.

As expected, it was a tightly fought affair. But Ismail El Haddad continued his fine form as he opened the scoring in the 26th minute through a left footed effort.

Article continues below

Horoya boasted an impressive home record, and that showed in their fight, as minutes later they were back in it.  Mandela Ocansey combined with Brefo Mensah and sent a left footed effort of his own into the bottom corner.

While both side’s fought tooth and nail for the elusive equaliser, it was not forthcoming as the game ended 1-1.


Next article:
‘It’s too early to leave’ – Ismaila Sarr commits future to Rennes amid Barca interest
Next article:
Kompany: Different Man City must not be complacent
Next article:
Positive Leicester City environment encouraged new deal, says Wilfred Ndidi
Next article:
Pogba told to stop being an 'Instagram personality' & become Man Utd's best player
Next article:
Fantasy Football: Aguero leads the line for our Premier League Team of the Week