Melbourne Victory have finally gotten their man with confirmation on Monday that Japanese attacker Keisuke Honda will join the reigning A-League champions next season.
Bolstered by marquee funds supplied by Football Federation Australia, Victory coach Kevin Muscat has been able to add the talented 32-year-old to his squad on a deal reportedly worth $2.9 million.
Honda had been a free agent since departing Mexican club Pachuca and arrives in Melbourne with a wealth of experience that has seen him play for CSKA Moscow and AC Milan.
The 2011 Asian Cup winner featured in three of Japan's World Cup games in Russia and scored a valuable goal against Senegal in the group stages.
He has since retired from international football, but recently hinted at a possible 2020 Olympic appearance, as he looks to focus on club football and his latest challenge with Victory.
— KeisukeHonda(本田圭佑) (@kskgroup2017) August 6, 2018
Honda's arrival is a timely boost for Victory, who have lost key attacking players Besart Berisha and Leroy George this off-season.
They remain in the hunt for a replacement striker with reports Socceroo Jamie Maclaren was a target they went close to snaring.
— Melbourne Victory (@gomvfc) August 6, 2018
Honda is expected to land in Melbourne late next week and said he's looking forward to playing for the 'best club' in Australia.
"I'm so happy to join the club," Honda said on Fox Sports.
"I think Melbourne Victory is the best club in Australia. I am honoured.
"I will make the club win and help the team as much as I can."
A-League boss Greg O'Rourke hailed Honda's signing, stressing it's a vital step forward for Australian football in the region.
"Asia is our neighbour. It's fantastic we're taking this next step to bring Asia to the A-League," O'Rourke said.