Griezmann announces decision to stay at Atletico in video documentary

ShareClose Comments
The France striker has finally buried speculation over his future with the news that he will remain at the Wanda Metropolitano

Atletico Madrid star Antoine Griezmann has confirmed he will stay at the club despite interest from Barcelona, revealing his decision in a lavish video documentary. 

The France international's future had been the subject of fierce speculation in recent weeks. 

Griezmann had been continually linked with a move to Catalunya, while he kept a tight silence on the subject throughout France's World Cup preparations. 

But on Thursday he finally spoke out in a bizarre production to reveal his future lies at the Wanda Metropolitano. 

The player spoke to his father and brother in the documentary screened by  Movistar  as they gave him advice on his next move. 

He also stroked his horses and played basketball with his sibling as the tension built ahead of his final decision. 

"My fans, my team, my home," he finally exclaimed in a message that was also released simultaneously on his Twitter page and shared by his relieved club. 

"I have decided to stay," said Griezmann.

"They are doing everything they can to keep Atletico growing and so that they can play the Champions League final, hopefully at home [in 2019].

"They are making an effort to bring top players. This is going to make a difference."

One of those players is Griezmann's international team-mate Thomas Lemar, who appears bound for Atletico after the club  announced on Tuesday that an agreement has been reached to sign Monaco star.  

"I feel there are things to do with Atletico," Griezmann added. 

"If they [Atleti] buy good players we can win the Champions League here and enter the history of the club. Here, I would make history. At Barcelona, I would just be one more.

Article continues below

"The decision I make is taken with 100 per cent certainty, as I did at Real Sociedad or when I came here. I will not regret it."

Griezmann scored 29 goals in 48 games for Atletico last season, as Diego Simeone's men battled to second place in La Liga and also lifted the Europa League.

Though the 27-year-old won the Europa League, he is still searching for a La Liga and Champions League crown with the capital side after joining from Sociedad in 2014. 

Next article:
EXTRA TIME: Didier Drogba meet up with World Cup winner Paul Pogba
Next article:
adidas Football Reveals New FC Bayern Away Jersey For 2018/19 Season
Next article:
Real Madrid farewell? Navas posts cryptic message amid Courtois links
Next article:
EXTRA TIME: Mohamed Salah enjoys time at the beach
Next article:
Spain taxes chased Ronaldo away from Real Madrid, says Tebas
Close

We use cookies to give you the best online experience. By using our website you agree to our use of cookies in accordance with our privacy policy.

Show more Accept