thumbnail Hello,
W-League round-up: Sky Blues triumph in decider

W-League round-up: Sky Blues triumph in decider


It was the Sky Blues who triumphed over Victory in Melbourne, with no surprises as to who got's player of the week Indonesia   By GOAL AUSTRALIA


Sydney FC have won their second W-League championship, prevailing in a 3-1 win over Melbourne Victory at AAMI Park on Sunday.

A horrendous defensive error gifted Nicola Bolger the opener for Sydney before Petra Larsson's superb free-kick levelled the game before half-time.

But Sam Kerr's header and a penalty from player of the match Kyah Simon sewed up the title, after Ruyter-Hooley was given a straight red for the foul which resulted in the spot-kick being awarded.

Right from the outset, Sydney FC showed their attacking intent as the Sky Blues had a pair of golden chances in the 12th and 16th minutes when Matildas right-back Caitlin Foord skipped around two challenges but was denied by a Danielle Johnson block, before Victory defender Gulcan Koca made a last-ditch tackle as Kerr was about to tap home.

Victory goalkeeper Brianna Davey then made a superb full-stretch save on 23 minutes as Renee Rollason tried to spear a shot into the far corner.

Davey was put in the firing line two minutes later when Rebekah Stott left her back pass short of the Victory stopper and the shot-stopper's clearance rebounded off Sydney midfielder Bolger and trickled into the net.

Victory's first clear chance was created by American striker Jessica McDonald on 38 minutes as she turned into space in the penalty area and forced a superb save from Sky Blues goalkeeper Shamiran Khamis from a tight angle.

After a near repeat of Sydney FC's first goal, when Stott again left a back pass short of Davey, the Victory equalised with a sublime free-kick from Larsson in the 41st minute that struck the left upright and went in.

Three minutes after half-time, the Sky Blues retook the lead when Kerr placed her diving header past Davey after a well-weighted cross from Simon.

Khamis made several excellent saves throughout the match and her block on 59 minutes to deny Victory striker Enza Barilla from close range kept Sydney FC in front.

Some brilliant control by Simon opened up space for the Sky Blues in the 65th minute and her goal-bound effort was acrobatically tipped over the bar by Davey.

As the game opened up, Sydney FC substitute Larissa Crummer found herself through on goal on 84 minutes and Ruyter-Hooley brought down the attacker, conceding a penalty for denying a clear goalscoring opportunity.

Simon sent Davey the wrong way and she celebrated by making a silencing motion to the Victory supporters.

Sydney FC had finished the regular season in fourth position and celebrated wildly at the final whistle with their travelling fans.


No surprises here.  When the game needed to be won, Kyah Simon stepped up.  The 21-year-old Sky Blues captain would have woken up with more than a bruise or two after throwing herself at everything that came her way, but shrugged any pain aside to play an integral part in her side's win.  Simon provided the perfect cross for fellow Australia international Sam Kerr to put Sydney FC up 2-1, then had the composure to slot home the sealer from the penalty spot  Big games are the arena for big players, and Simon showed she was exactly that for Sydney FC.

Goal Australia has its own and account, so for all the latest news and features on Australian and world football follow us by clicking on the above links.