W-League round-up: Glory takes 12-goal thriller

Perth Glory emerged from Saturday's goal frenzy with Sydney FC with the points, while there was a tough win for Victory. And who took out Goal.com's player of the week?
GOAL.com Indonesia   By TAKU TANEKA


Melbourne Victory and Canberra United met in a tight contest that took until stoppage time to decide. In wet conditions, Canberra had the lion's share of early chances. The speedy Nikki Washington was the first to have a clear-cut opportunity, but Victory goalkeeper Brianna Davey was up to the task. Striker Michelle Heyman had the next attempt, but a weak shot was comfortably stopped by Davey. Surprisingly, it was Victory who took the lead in the 31st minute, despite being under pressure for most of the half, when a header by Amy Jackson from a corner saw them the break in front. But just five minutes into the second half, Canberra scored a deserved equalizer, after Jennifer Bisset beat Davey with a shot from inside the box. As the rain poured heavier, both sides struggled to create any meaningful attacks and a draw appeared a likely result. But with seconds left in stoppage time, Jessica Fishlock broke clear of the last line of defence for a one-on-one opportunity against Canberra shot-stopper Mackenzie Arnold in the 94th minute. As Arnola desperately tried to defuse the situation, Fishlock pulled off an audacious chip to secure a late 2-1 win for away side.


Two of this season's W-League strugglers Adelaide United and Newcastle Jets clashed at Burton Park, aware that the losing side would be bottom of the ladder after the weekend. Buoyed by the appearance of guest player Kristy Moore, the Reds looked the more threatening of the two sides in the first half as they maintained possession well. Yet, despite numerous chances, including a strong penalty appeal that was rejected and a missed opportunity by Moore, the game entered half-time goalless. Early in the second half, Jet Grace Macintyre nearly gave her side the lead but her shot was off target. That scare seemed to inspire the Reds - winless in seven games - into attack mode, as they went after just their second win of the season. In the 67th minute, they took their first step towards breaking the duck when captain Abby Erceg advanced forward from her defensive role to pass the ball to Moore, who finished neatly. The Reds celebrated their second goal in three minutes when Ruth Wallace outmaneuvered the last defender before rounding the opposition goalkeeper to slot the ball home to give the home side a 2-0 victory.


Fans at Allianz Stadium were treated to a thrilling match as Perth Glory and Sydney FC played out 12-goal thriller. The first goal arrived in the 13th minute, when Glory's Matildas duo Kate Gill and Lisa De Vanna combined for the latter to score. Trouble soon struck the away side, however, as goalkeeper and England representative Carly Telford was forced off the field in the 35th minute after sustaining a hand injury. The substitution, which saw Zoe Palandri introduced to the fixture, directly lead to Sydney FC's equaliser in the 41st minute. In the process of trying to eliminate a threatening cross, Palandri lost control of the ball and Sydney FC captain Kyah Simon pounced on the opportunity to score. Two minutes later, the hosts took the lead as Lillie Billson weaved her magic on the right flank en route to assisting Emma Kete for Sydney FC to lead 2-1 at half-time. A wild period of play between the 56th and 62nd minute turned the game on its head, with Perth duo Elisa D'Ovidio and Aivi Luik scoring three goals between them. Billson also struck for the home side as the score changed from 2-1 to Sydney FC at half-time to 4-3 in favour of the Glory within 15 minutes after the break. Consolidating that lead was De Vanna, who made the score 5-3 in the 72nd minute. But Sydney FC refused to give up and made the score 5-4 in the 81st minute as Caitlin Foord struck a shot from distance that found the back of the net. But any hopes of a draw were ended when De Vanna scored her third and Gill scored her first in the 87th and 88th minutes respectively. A late consolation goal to Sydney FC by Samantha Kerr saw the game conclude 7-5.    


Western Sydney Wanderers hosted Brisbane Roar at Campbelltown Stadium on Sunday, with the former boasting a playing record that had yet to see them lose at home. The match began at a frantic pace, as both sides pushed for an early lead. Wanderers midfielder Servet Uzunlar managed a long-range attempt but the shot missed the target, and Brisbane Roar's Tameka Butt returned fire with a shot of her own but the strike sailed over the crossbar. In the 21st minute, however, Butt put the visitors in front as she latched onto a loose ball and capitalised on the easiest of chances. With their next dangerous attacking chance, the Roar doubled their lead. Wanderers goalkeeper Thora Helgadottir was poorly positioned and the Roar's Emily Gielnik made her pay by chipping her to make it 2-0 at half-time. Fighting to keep their unbeaten home record, the Wanderers returned after the interval full of attacking vigour. In the 68th minute, Swedish midfielder Louise Fors continued her excellent form [having been named Goal.com's player of the week] as she made the score 2-1 with a pinpoint free-kick. Both sides had chances in the final 22 minutes to score, but neither team could find the back of the net as the Roar ground out a gutsy 2-1 away win.    


Lisa De Vanna put in an instrumental shift to help Perth Glory win against Sydney FC. The experienced Australia international, 28, was at her prolific best as she tormented Sydney FC defenders with her skill, speed and eye for goal. For her outstanding effort, De Vanna was rewarded with three goals to help her side cement their lead at the top of the W-League ladder. 

Goal Australia has its own and account, so for all the latest news and features on Australian and world football follow us by clicking on the above links.